Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Few/ McCoys B2 Werber Leather Coat Inc.

John Lever

One Too Many
My long awaited and anticipated B2 arrived today. I decided to order one of these about 6 months ago, and since then Paddy and I have exchanged about 20 e-mails discussing size and slotting the order in the busy manufacturing schedule which is largely dedicated to the Japanese market. As I already own two other B2's from Lost Worlds and Buzz Ricksons this was to be the icing on the cake. I did have reservations concerning the actual size of the 44, but Bevan assured me that this was the one to go for as it is exactly the same as the original jacket the pattern came from, which was slightly small for him, and therefore should fit me.
The horse hide is vegetable and chrome tanned with a hand applied aniline finish. The colour is a dark warm brown called Garam [ after the spice] The heavy duty zip a pre-war Talon pinlock and the lining is wool worsted. The fit is absolutely perfect and the belt tightens up to give a draught proof seal. The belt buckle has a beautifully shaped tongue which looks very 30's.
Compared to the BR, this is a heavy jacket with a heavy duty feel of superb quality. Almost as heavy as the LW version but not quite, it is much more wearable off the peg, but not soft like the BR and will get softer with wear. The leather surface already has fabulous grain and character and the colour is breathtakingly beautiful.

IMGP1575.jpg

IMGP1577.jpg

IMGP1578.jpg

IMGP1581.jpg

IMGP1583.jpg

IMGP1584.jpg

IMGP1586.jpg

Rufus

Practically Family
Fantastic jacket, John!

It's interesting to see all the variations in lining,fasteners, and colour on the various B2s... for such a rare jacket... there seems to be a lot of variation.

Does the LW have an Irvin style elastic strap on the back of the collar?

My BR B2 doesn't, but I remember seeing photos... (Possibly on VLJ) of the strap version B2...

Interesting that the Few version also lacks this...

Beautiful jacket, I'm very, very jealous!!

Please post more pics as it breaks in!

:) Rufus

HDRnR

A-List Customer
That looks awesome, the B-2 is one I've always wanted but never pulled the trigger on. Does Few/McCoys sell direct to the USA ? I'm just reluctant to deal with Stuart anymore.

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
What a masterpiece of wear! Your B-2 and you as one in the cool mornings and evenings of the English countryside, thinking about the history behind B-2's--all those men crying and dying and living...tremendous jacket for all the years to come.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"all those men"? :) You know very few airmen ever wore these things...they were a skeleton force with no enemies to fight, no strategies to plot, not much to do but try for record books, play war with the ground troops, write magazine articles and fly the mail.

Still, they were to be admired for being there at all then, gambling (and some losing) their lives with silly outdated aircraft and battle plans for lousy pay and begrudged promotion. It was a romantic, even brave, era somehow.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Fletch said:
"all those men"? :) You know very few airmen ever wore these things...they were a skeleton force with no enemies to fight, no strategies to plot, not much to do but try for record books, play war with the ground troops, write magazine articles and fly the mail.

Still, they were to be admired for being there at all then, gambling (and some losing) their lives with silly outdated aircraft and battle plans for lousy pay and begrudged promotion. It was a romantic, even brave, era somehow.

Thus spake Wikipediathustra from far atop Mt.Google...

Jovan

Suspended
Never seen a B2 before. That collar is HUGE! I like it though. I presume it and the button loops are to keep one's mouth, nose, and ears warm at high altitude? It reminds me of when Jude Law had his collar up at the beginning of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

John Lever

One Too Many
HDRnR said:
That looks awesome, the B-2 is one I've always wanted but never pulled the trigger on. Does Few/McCoys sell direct to the USA ? I'm just reluctant to deal with Stuart anymore.

Yes they do, but be quick if you want one as most of the production is geared to fulfilling Japanese orders. It is my understanding that materials are ordered in batches for runs of pre-ordered jackets. When they run out there is a wait until the next batch.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Real nice jacket John! You've got to be happy with that fit.
This is a 44 without anything custom cut?
Would you recommend this one over the other two?
Thank you for posting the pictures.

John Lever

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Real nice jacket John! You've got to be happy with that fit.
This is a 44 without anything custom cut?
Would you recommend this one over the other two?
Thank you for posting the pictures.[/QUOTE

No custom fit, just a direct copy of an original size 44 from the 1930's. All three jackets are great and it is very difficult to choose between them. The McCoy is a mid-way house between the very, very heavy Lost worlds and the soft Buzz Rickson. here are some comparative photos -

IMGP1617.jpg

IMGP1615.jpg

IMGP1614.jpg

IMGP1611.jpg

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Damn, thats alot of horse right there ! John, are they all 44's ? If so how do they compare in cut ?

rumblefish

One Too Many
I just showed Mrs. M. your jackets and asked "what do you think?" (meaning how about another flight jacket for me?) I didn't get a reply, but I think she making an appointment for me to have my head candled.
Your having three B-2s does help my cause:D .

John Lever

One Too Many
HDRnR said:
Damn, thats alot of horse right there ! John, are they all 44's ? If so how do they compare in cut ?
The LW is very square and probably slightly large for me. The waist belt at full tightness is quite open. The Buzz is a relaxed very comfortable fit almost like a fashion jacket but that's because the leather is so soft. . The McCoy is a perfect trim cut which I think reflects the style and fit of an original the most accurately. The leather is aniline and is stunning. it's quite difficult to photograph leather due to reflections and colour balance. The Garam brown is like melted dark chocolate with a dash of cinnamon.

BuzzRicksons042.jpg

LWB2014.jpg

LWB2001.jpg

BuzzRicksons015.jpg

BuzzRicksons016.jpg

BuzzRicksons014.jpg

BuzzRicksons028.jpg

BuzzRicksons029.jpg

BuzzRicksons026.jpg

BuzzRicksons027.jpg

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Spectacular stuff John, this should become an official B2 thread. These pictures are great for reference. Anyone on here own or have pictures of an original ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe