Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras in France

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello Everyone!

I just got to Nice from Paris and am having a wonderful time in France. I am here until just before the Queen Mary.

The first thing I was amazed at was how many fedoras there were in Paris. It is more of a fedora town than Venice. The interesting thing was, it was quite a bit like our imaginings of what it would be like if fedoras came back to everyday fashion in the US; older fellows wore the classic fedoras and these were nice. I saw some for sale at Hermes for 300 Euros. Many people wore the Aussie type hats and these were for sale everywhere, even street vendors. The younger kids wore the hipster, Justin Timberlake style hats, and you know, I was happy to see them. These were for sale everywhere also.

Now, it's not as if everyone was wearing them, but there were certainly more people wearing them than in the US.

Let's dispel a big myth here right now: the French do not hate Americans. I have never been more warmly received than by the people of Paris. They were wonderful to me and I am thankful for them. I encourage you all to travel there. You will be amazed. Just smile, keep your voice low, and say "please" and "thank you" a lot. ;)

They are also perhaps the most polite people on earth. The packed Metro trains are entirely quiet. If someone bumps into you, they say "pardon moi" and you get many warm "Bonjours" wherever you go.

Well, more later, but I wanted to share this tidbit. Here is a photo I took of the Eiffel Tower:

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Ooh, I hope you both have great fun! I'm quite jealous right now. You two look lovely standing in front of the cathedral.

If you're there through Sunday, there's a great restaurant called Cafe Lutece (I believe) on Ile de Saint Louis, right behind the Notre Dame that faces the Seine and the Mairie and serves great brunch on Sundays. And get pistachio ice cream at Berthillion!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
Here's one of Daisy and Me at Notre Dame by a kind bystander:

I'm green with envy. I hope you crossed the bridge to Shakespeare & Co. Their Hemingway's been missing for years.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
The first thing I was amazed at was how many fedoras there were in Paris. It is more of a fedora town than Venice.

Speaking of fedora's... whats missing from this picture? :p

Hope you guys are enjoying yourselve's over there...
It's been in the high 30's -low 40's all week around here!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bonjour

You rwo are going to have a great trip! I love the first two photos. :eusa_clap

If you have an opportunity to photograph some vintage Mossant fedorsa, that would be swell.

Have a wonderful time.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
Hello Everyone!

Just smile, keep your voice low, and say "please" and "thank you" a lot. ;)
That's great advice for here too!:) I'm sure you both make wonderful ambassadors for the U.S. and for that borderless principality known as the Fedora Lounge. Have a safe journey!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bonjour

HadleyH said:
OMG Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
You two lucky people! :)

Nice pictures, thanks for posting and enjoy your trip!!!

Hadley, I knew it! That avatar is a photo of you on your trip to Paris and the Eiffel Tower! How could we have missed it? [huh]

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Hello, Mr. Jones! New kid on the forum, wishing you a fine trip. I'll be in Paris with the Girl for Christmas and New Years, and you have me champing at the bit! Paris is always lovely, and the weather looks balmy compared to presently-rainy Frankfurt, although that may be an illusion...

If you don't mind my asking, do you have any recommendations for lovely men's vintage in Paris? I have every intention of scouring Saint-Ouen and the Puces de la Porte de Vanves and several shops have names for, but I'm sure there must be a magic treasure-trove hidden in some forgotten arcade...

Regards,

Trevlin

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear Trevlin,
Thank you for your lovely comments and welcome to the Lounge. To be honest, I didn't do much vintage shopping while in Paris, but I did find a wonderful place at Marche de Puxe called something like Fabiala's or something. It is easy to find; on the second floor of one of the arcades on the left as you enter the market area. When Daisy awakes, I'll ask her. Anyway, most of their stuff is from the turn of the last century, but they had some amazing jackets as well.

Here are some photos of the shop. The two lovely owners who are husband and wife:

Here is the back of the jacket the fellow was wearing:

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them. :)

Here is a pic of how hats are sold over here, this one in Nice:

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Wow!!! I'm so happy to read so many nice things about my country... I'm proud!! Hemingway, my parents live in Nice, and I totally love that "chapellerie" (hat store) in the pedestrian street!! My favourite art deco building is " Le palais de la Méditerranée"!!! It's true that in Paris vintage is really appreciated!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pennycarrol said:
Wow!!! I'm so happy to read so many nice things about my country... I'm proud!! Hemingway, my parents live in Nice, and I totally love that "chapellerie" (hat store) in the pedestrian street!! My favourite art deco building is " Le palais de la Méditerranée"!!! It's true that in Paris vintage is really appreciated!!
Penny, that is too funny! I bought a hat today at Chapellerie! It's a nice tweed Stetson cap with a French tag. The woman who owns the store is adorable.

Also, I am staying at Le Palais de La Méditerranée, and you are right, it has an amazing facade!

France is wonderful. The people here are amazing and perhaps the most polite in all the world. Where else do people say "Good day" to everyone they meet? I love it here! You should be proud of your wonderful country. :)

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
It's a beautiful hotel, my parents live in front of it!!! There are some appartments/flats in the hotel!! On the Mondays, there is a market with antiques and vintage!!! There is a lot of stuff, and you can find beautiful things!! I always find nice brooches!! It's on the "cours Saleya"!! Try also the socca it's typical from Nice!! HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!! I'm so happy that you love my country!!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I haven't been to Mexico yet, but I have to say that all three times I've been to France, I have had very pleasant experiences. The French are wonderful--I want to go back! It feels like a second home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust