Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FA: 3 hat blocks 7 3/8, 7 3/8, and 7 1/2

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Buler,

Could you let me know the circumference around the base of the two #52s? I definitely need the 7 1/2, as I only have a #51 in that size, and could always use another 7 3/8.

Thanks.

Brad

babs

A-List Customer
I'm in on the bidding.

Should I win, I'll have fun explaining to the Mrs how I spent cash on a round piece of wood. I'd have to demonstrate I guess on the Dobbs I picked up a few weeks back that has a weird thing going on in the back of the crown. :)

Curious.. Difference between a 51 vs 52 mold?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Buler,

Could you let me know the circumference around the base of the two #52s? I definitely need the 7 1/2, as I only have a #51 in that size, and could always use another 7 3/8.

Thanks.

Brad

Brad, here are the measurements. I did the base and then tried to do a midpoint.

B

7 3/8 51 = base 23 9/16, mid 23 3/16

7 3/8 52 = base 23 1/2, mid 23 1/16

7 1/2 52 = base 23 7/8, mid 23 3/8

buler

I'll Lock Up
babs said:
I'm in on the bidding.

Should I win, I'll have fun explaining to the Mrs how I spent cash on a round piece of wood. I'd have to demonstrate I guess on the Dobbs I picked up a few weeks back that has a weird thing going on in the back of the crown. :)

Curious.. Difference between a 51 vs 52 mold?

Its really hard to see the difference between the 51 and 52. Especially since one is dark and the other light colored. See my measurements above for Brad for slight size variance. I'm sure the main difference is taper.

B

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Buler. I'll measure my blocks at home to see how these compare before I jump into the bidding fray.

One big difference between a 51 and 52, from the blocks I have, and the ones I have seen, is that the peak of the crown sets farther back on the 51, whereas it is centered on the 52. With the peak setting farther back, you get different profile on the front at the pinch, but also gives a deep teardrop crease at the back that is more shallow toward the front.

A 52 is great for center creases.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I apologize to anyone here that I outbid. However, I have now filled a big void in my set. :)

Hope the auctions turned out all right for you, Buler.

Brad

babs

A-List Customer
hehe.. That Cheshire cat grin in your avatar kinda goes with that statement perfectly Brad. hehehehehe :)

I'll live. As few hats as I have right now, I'd do well probably just picking up a straight-sided 'hatshaper', unless I can score an old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld