Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyes help!

Kishtu

Practically Family
OK, for reasons best known to myself about 2 months ago my stoopid eyes started kicking up whenever I put mascara on. (Red, itchy, bloodshot, watery, the whole nine yards.)

Immediate thought was that the mascara I was using, was either out of date, or I was allergic to it. (Boots No. 7 lash lengthening)
Went out and got some brand new in another brand, same thing happens. (Collection 2000 - yeah I know, cheap, what can you do)

Now being as what I am a ginger craytur, if I don't do *something* with my lashes I tend to look like I've been crying. So not a good look.

Does anyone else have sensitive eyes that go off like this? What mascara is gentle enough not to set my stupid face off? Or can I dye my eyelashes and just be done with it? (thinking about this, but possibility that I'll just end up looking permanently distraught is terrifying)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome back, Kishtu. I'm a redhead and I sometimes have problems with mascara. I sit it out for a week, in case it is an allergy, then use Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara in black or brown. http://www.marykay.co.uk/Display.asp?PageID=9988&Directory=ultimatebrown-mascara
Once in a while I'll use the individual glue-on lashes and no mascara. These last for a few weeks, and I add more as they fall off. No itchiness so far, but I have to remember not to rub my eyes at all, even when washing my face.
I've been told dyeing your eyelashes, or having them dyed, is all kinds of dangerous. Not only that, it causes reactions you have tattoos!
Ashley

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
If all else fails you can end up getting your eyelashes tinted. You can go in for a test 24 hours before called a P.D. Test that they will apply a little bit of the product behind your ear to see if an allergic reaction happens if not you can get your lashes tinted and then to make them stand out after put a little vaseline on your fingers and apply to your eyelashes making them look fresh. Just another option if the mascara turns out to be a huge problem for ya.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh i understand the pain believe me. My eyes are so sensitive, i have actually gone thru periods of having to skip all eye makeup for a time, which is not pretty, trust me. Almay is good.right now i am using "MARCELLE-Healthy Lash", which works very well.no itchy eyes.I find that you need to stay away from cheap mascara that flakes because if get dry flakes of mascara in my eyes, it is all over.It's worth it to get a good one.also to back up what paisley just said,if you use a dark liner on your top lashes, you can probably do with no mascara if your lashes are darkish or at least get away with just one coat.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Thanks everyone.

I went out last Sunday with my cheapie mascara on and the redness has just about gone.

Since I'm not doing anything this weekend I shall be trying out all your ideas in the privacy of my own home (so as not to scare the horses)
Next question about the eyeliner: liquid eyeliner will be pretty much the same as far as flaking goes, right? Can anyone recommend any good ones?

(And it's good to be back! Ahhh... civilisation.....)

PS - sorry for the use of random idiosyncratic phrases. I forget sometimes not everyone speaks Kishtu :)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Kishtu said:
Thanks everyone.

I went out last Sunday with my cheapie mascara on and the redness has just about gone.

Since I'm not doing anything this weekend I shall be trying out all your ideas in the privacy of my own home (so as not to scare the horses)
Next question about the eyeliner: liquid eyeliner will be pretty much the same as far as flaking goes, right? Can anyone recommend any good ones?

(And it's good to be back! Ahhh... civilisation.....)

PS - sorry for the use of random idiosyncratic phrases. I forget sometimes not everyone speaks Kishtu :)

My favourite liquid liner is actually just the Rimmel one - supercheap, good solid colour, non-flaking (as far as is possible - after 3am it may start to go!) and a lovely fine brush. About £3 - bargain.

Kishtu

Practically Family
After 3am, my deah, I should hope that no one would be rude enough to pass comment.

Sadly after 3am the only "people" who are likely to see it are three cats and a snoring OH. Such is my life....

Absolutely non-vintage but Rimmel used to do a gorgeous purple eyeliner. Hmmmmm.....

sixsexsix

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
My favourite liquid liner is actually just the Rimmel one - supercheap, good solid colour, non-flaking (as far as is possible - after 3am it may start to go!) and a lovely fine brush. About £3 - bargain.

I also love the Rimmel stuff, and I have crazy sensitive skin. Cheap AND good!

olive bleu

One Too Many
since i have zippo hand/eye coordination, i can pretty much guarantee that i would be a mess if i tried liquid eyeliner.I use almay in the eyeliner too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld