Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Even a criminal looks good in a hat...

Thought you might like to see what a dashing modern criminal looks like in his hat. This is Mr. Jack "So I bribed a couple of Congressmen" Abramoff leaving court in DC this morning.

vert.abramoff.ap.jpg

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I dunno. The coat's a little tight around the pork barrell. He looks a little too much like an overstuffed bin-liner to me.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
hmmm...the coat looks like one of those flimsy polycotton monstrosities that currently disgrace the great tradition of the trench coat. I would imagine the hat is as insubstantial if you saw it in the flesh. And he wears both without any style or panache....the GE hoods from great Capone on down knew that a fedora should never be worn straight like that. Nope, he doesn't even make a good crook.

MattC

A-List Customer
Not at the public trough.

Well, only indirectly. He's been bloating on the fantastic sums business and interest groups are willing to pay to get access. That access lets them feed off the public trough. Cynicism about how this system is supposed to work has never been deeper or more widespread. No wonder he looks bad in a hat. He'd make anything look bad.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am in the uncomfortable position of wanting to defend him, but based solely on what he has on. I think he looks great. Sure the coat might be a bit tight and he hasn't exactly imbued his hat with his own personality the way that each of us do, but he is wearing a very nice overcoat and a very nice black fedora. I give him credit.

I would like to see more of this.

Washington DC is turning into a hat town; more and more politicians and clerks are sporting them. It could catch on.

Western culture was a hat wearing culture since before the Renaissance. Perhaps, these last 40 years have been an aberration.

In any case, more hats, even if people fail at their wearing of them. Try. Put 'em on!

Unfortunately, now the general public will think anyone wearing a hat is necessarily an Abramoff-esque crook.

Jacket is an abomination. He should go to jail for a long, long time just for being seen in public wearing it. Nylon, Baaad! Showing support for the petrochemicals industry, at least ...

bk

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Politicians and Lobbyists - hah! Never could make a decent fashion statement. Even FDR, HST and Ike couldn't make an Open Road look good. I think you're expecting too much of the guy; it's just not in the mix.

BTW IMHO a homburg would have been more appropriate for the look. What is that, anyway? Looks too heavy to be a Como. It certainly ain't one of Art's!

...from a former DC native and long-time resident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe