Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer boots: hard vs soft toe?

Hard toe or soft toe on engineer boot?

• Hard Toe

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Soft Toe

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I posted. I'm in the market for some new engineers. Interested in the community's preference between hard and soft toed varieties of engineers!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Mostly aesthetic if you just wear them for kicking about. Depends whether you like the higher, round toe, or the lower profile look. If you do buy the former, on a modern boot it's not going to end up looking like the latter.

If you're going to be actually wearing them in an environment where you might need protection from something heavy being dropped on them, I'd go with a steel toecap (I aw that as someone who once, but for a steeltoecap which saw me walk away without even a hint of a bruise, would have had a severely shattered foot). Some folks are wary of a steel toe - there's a belief does the rounds that in an accident they could get squashed and snap or otherwise squash your toes. I lean to the view myself that if it's hit hard enough to do that, you're not going to be any better off with no toecap. As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice...

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
Mostly aesthetic if you just wear them for kicking about. Depends whether you like the higher, round toe, or the lower profile look. If you do buy the former, on a modern boot it's not going to end up looking like the latter.

If you're going to be actually wearing them in an environment where you might need protection from something heavy being dropped on them, I'd go with a steel toecap (I aw that as someone who once, but for a steeltoecap which saw me walk away without even a hint of a bruise, would have had a severely shattered foot). Some folks are wary of a steel toe - there's a belief does the rounds that in an accident they could get squashed and snap or otherwise squash your toes. I lean to the view myself that if it's hit hard enough to do that, you're not going to be any better off with no toecap. As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice...
Appreciate the response. I'm leaning towards soft toe this time. Would rather not have that rounded toe look.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I prefer soft-toe on any boot that is not a true, in the steel mill, weld shop work boot.

Some who ride in Engineers on a motorcycle like the composite as it can be helpful, others feel this can get in the way of shifting, etc.

Try out both of the make & model you are looking at, biggest thing with Engineers (in my view) is the fit is difficult to get correct. I am blessed to have a lighter-brown pair of Wesco's that fit like a glove, and were quite a good deal on ebay due to the slightly different color. They are soft-toe and perfect for my needs.

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
I prefer soft-toe on any boot that is not a true, in the steel mill, weld shop work boot.

Some who ride in Engineers on a motorcycle like the composite as it can be helpful, others feel this can get in the way of shifting, etc.

Try out both of the make & model you are looking at, biggest thing with Engineers (in my view) is the fit is difficult to get correct. I am blessed to have a lighter-brown pair of Wesco's that fit like a glove, and were quite a good deal on ebay due to the slightly different color. They are soft-toe and perfect for my needs.
Great advice. I wore Wesco Boss's for most of my 20's ... decided a couple years ago to try again and just couldn't get on with them due to the fit this time around. Figured i'd get custom ones and never got around to it. Due to insane lead times with Wesco, i've been considering the White's Nomads . And I think soft toe is the way to go. But like you said, fit is tricky so I have my fingers crossed.

Edward

Bartender
Appreciate the response. I'm leaning towards soft toe this time. Would rather not have that rounded toe look.

Yes, it's a different vibe altogether. Give it an earlier, pre-50s look, the soft toe, imo. I'd something I'd like in my next pair - unfortunately trickier to find often these days outside the big money stuff, but they are out there.

Completely this on the fit - can't be emphasised enough. My first pair of engineers blistered me every time I wore them being too loose (the next available size down from the same brand was markedly too small) until I put in an insole that snugged them right up - totally different boots after that. Engineers unlike any other boot (Western boots to a degree as well, but nowhere near as much so imo) really are all about finding the right boot for you and your foot - and knowing also when to persevere with one that's a bit tight. One of my favourite pairs of boots is a pair of shorty (7" shaft I think? comes to where a USAAF jump boot would, markedly shorter than the normal 10/11" shaft) Chippewas. For the first week I had to wear them without socks. Then for a few weeks they were quite an effort to get on and off. Then suddenly they were perfect... They were always a very good, not tight, fit when I had them on ,though - that's the key.

With engineers, you definitely do need to find the right brand for you (and the insole trick can help). I know I'm good with Red Wings and Chippewas. At some point I' d love to try the ones Schott do (which I suspect to be made by Chippewa). I'd love to try Wescos, but at this distance I'm waiting for the chance to try some one to gauge my size right, and the pound to crawl back out of the toilet (at USD1.31 to the pound, they come up hella pricey compared to where they were ten years ago). This is inherent to all slip-on footwear, given you don't have laces to adjust the fit, though - I have the same considerations when it comes to buying penny loafers.

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
Yes, it's a different vibe altogether. Give it an earlier, pre-50s look, the soft toe, imo. I'd something I'd like in my next pair - unfortunately trickier to find often these days outside the big money stuff, but they are out there.

Completely this on the fit - can't be emphasised enough. My first pair of engineers blistered me every time I wore them being too loose (the next available size down from the same brand was markedly too small) until I put in an insole that snugged them right up - totally different boots after that. Engineers unlike any other boot (Western boots to a degree as well, but nowhere near as much so imo) really are all about finding the right boot for you and your foot - and knowing also when to persevere with one that's a bit tight. One of my favourite pairs of boots is a pair of shorty (7" shaft I think? comes to where a USAAF jump boot would, markedly shorter than the normal 10/11" shaft) Chippewas. For the first week I had to wear them without socks. Then for a few weeks they were quite an effort to get on and off. Then suddenly they were perfect... They were always a very good, not tight, fit when I had them on ,though - that's the key.

With engineers, you definitely do need to find the right brand for you (and the insole trick can help). I know I'm good with Red Wings and Chippewas. At some point I' d love to try the ones Schott do (which I suspect to be made by Chippewa). I'd love to try Wescos, but at this distance I'm waiting for the chance to try some one to gauge my size right, and the pound to crawl back out of the toilet (at USD1.31 to the pound, they come up hella pricey compared to where they were ten years ago). This is inherent to all slip-on footwear, given you don't have laces to adjust the fit, though - I have the same considerations when it comes to buying penny loafers.
The fit really is key. And too bad we don't all have local shops that carry a variety of engineer boots. It can quickly turn into a cycle of buying and sending back or trying to sell them. And the lead times make that dance even less attractive!

Edward

Bartender
The fit really is key. And too bad we don't all have local shops that carry a variety of engineer boots. It can quickly turn into a cycle of buying and sending back or trying to sell them. And the lead times make that dance even less attractive!

Yeah, I can't be doing with spending huge amounts and waiting years myself. One reason I've been happy with my RWs and Chipps!

DanielPetmr

Familiar Face

If you're going to be actually wearing them in an environment where you might need protection from something heavy being dropped on them, I'd go with a steel toecap (I aw that as someone who once, but for a steeltoecap which saw me walk away without even a hint of a bruise, would have had a severely shattered foot). Some folks are wary of a steel toe - there's a belief does the rounds that in an accident they could get squashed and snap or otherwise squash your toes. I lean to the view myself that if it's hit hard enough to do that, you're not going to be any better off with no toecap Baddiehub. As ever, you pays your money and you takes your choice...
It depends on your needs and usage. Hard-toe (safety-toe) engineers offer more protection, making them ideal if you work in environments with a risk of heavy objects falling on your feet or other potential hazards. They're often required in certain workplaces for safety standards.

On the other hand, soft-toe engineers are typically lighter and more comfortable, which makes them better for everyday wear or if you're looking for something less restrictive. Soft-toes may provide more flexibility and comfort for casual or light-duty use if protection isn't a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB