Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, my Whippet box came in today...

5350067462_f461eed1e7.jpg

5349456249_e8cbbe66ea.jpg

5349456323_067b17bb1e.jpg

Coincidentally, inside the hat box was some vintage (meaning old! LOL) segments of white felt that was used for someone's hat as a sweatband spacer. Oddly enough, my own Whippet is a size too big for me and these pieces of old felt came in mighty handy!!

fmw

One Too Many
This arrived today. The hat is a little dirty but the felt is flawless. I will send it to Optimo tomorrow. If they can't clean up the the yellow stains in the liner, I'll have them replace it. That and a cleaning and blocking should make it a very wearable hat. Since it cost less than $17 there is room for some restoration work. It fits just fine.

titan.jpg

titan2.jpg

titan3.jpg

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ya know, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it does make the whole shootin' match a little sweeter? Good thought.

So, $137.00 for the hat and $61 for the box.

Did I get my $$ worth?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This arrived today. The hat is a little dirty but the felt is flawless. I will send it to Optimo tomorrow. If they can't clean up the the yellow stains in the liner, I'll have them replace it. That and a cleaning and blocking should make it a very wearable hat. Since it cost less than $17 there is room for some restoration work. It fits just fine.

titan.jpg

titan2.jpg

titan3.jpg

GREAT vintage Akubra !!! Think your'e gonna like it ALOT !! :)

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. I think so too. When I won it on Ebay, I thought it might be a throw-away. But thanks to the flawless felt, some restoration will made it a dandy hat, I think.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Does it have a bound edge brim or is a self-welt edge? And what is the brim size? Why would it need restoration? It looks in almost mint condition :) the spots inside on the liner won't be seen by anybody when you have it on your head :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

fmw

One Too Many
The brim is over-welted, if that is the term. The edge of the brim is folded upward and sewn. Most welted brims are the other way, I think. The brim is a hair over 2" so we'll call it a stingy brim. Perhaps 2 1/8. I'm not totally comfortable with wearing used apparel or apparel that looks shabby. I did buy a like new Borsalino that I cleaned, reshaped and stretched myself. It is now in a state that I can wear comfortably. The liner in this one bothers me so I'm going to let the pros deal with it. I think with the small brim and short center dent crease, this hat should be right in style. It fits better than the old Borsalino which was about a size smaller than stated on the label. This hat is a true 7 1/8 - just great for me.

fmw

One Too Many
I gave it a shot. I found some Naphtha in the basement and cleaned the lining with it. It isn't pristine and perfect but the yellow is gone. I rubbed down the sweatband with leather cleaner. I gave the felt an aggressive brushing. I wet the whole hat down and rubbed the felt down with paper towel. Some soil did come out of the felt. Finally, I corrected a few issues with the crease and crown shape and set it up to dry. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Maybe I can take your advice and simply wear it.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
[OR] went for $500! :eeek:

I was rather surprised when I saw it go that high. As you rightly observe, the hat isn't even prime vintage. That's an excellent case study in what can happen if two stubborn bidders (with resources) really duke it out.

:boxing:

I was rather surprised when I saw it go that high. As you rightly observe, the hat isn't even prime vintage. That's an excellent case study in what can happen if two stubborn bidders (with resources) really duke it out.

:boxing:

I am relatively new to ebay, but that seemed like a very strange bidding war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007