Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
^I'm downright shocked that a hat in that size went for over $100. The picture of the frolicking bunnies below "Imported Fur" cracks me up. lol

Looks like a great hat.

They look downright happy about being made into a hat! lol

Crane's

Familiar Face
I live North of Columbia so I would say maybe 140 miles AlanC. By any chance do your travels bring you out this way? If so, perhaps we could meet for lunch sometime.

OK so I now own a nice brown vintage fur felt bowler made in my old stomping grounds. Perfect. The Frolicking Bunny Bowler will be on top of my noggin for my wedding. Now I need to see if I can pull off having a suit made by Mr. Deckard.

YETI

A-List Customer
Royal Deluxe Stetson on Ebay

Did anyone catch that auction? It sold for a whopping amount over $300! :eek: ... I'm a newbie ,by the way, and I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics :eek:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
That hat went to a Japanese collector from the looks of the name. They are buying up a ot of vintage Americana now. With the dollar at an alltime low, even 326.00 is a good deal.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Dr., that's interesting.

I've gotten a couple of hats from this seller, both good transactions. One of 'em was a brown Stetson with a rather wide, raw edge brim. In fact, with the brim as wide as it was it almost had a zoot-suit feel to it. I like ample brims but this one never seemed right so I trimmed it down just a touch.

I notice in yours the same fabric tag inside applied to the liner. In more recent times, I suppose, it was the custom of some retailers to add this since the days of having the maker imprint your store name in gold on the sweatband had passed(?). In mine it reads,

J.J. HAT CENTER
1276 BROADWAY
NEW YORK

What do you guys reckon? I went for a cheap-o, $15 BIN, version (though it looks WWII original) to see if this style of hat suits me. If it does i'll get a better one. The "crusher" cap. This was the only photo in the listing.

26bc_1.JPG

For those who know me: Can you really see this working?

brando.jpg

bk

Ande1964

Practically Family
Sunday Impulse

Just spent a half hour staring at the computer, wondering about pulling the trigger on this hat. In the end, as usual, my less prudent side won out.

I've been wanting a light gray, and Borsos in my size don't show up much, even relatively modern ones, like this. I may not love it, but I think I can probably flip it without losing much, if I want to. What do you guys think on the date... '80s? I haven't done any research yet on this liner logo, and when it might have been used.

God... I should really quit going to ebay!

0f6d_3.JPG
1057_12.JPG

Anj

Feraud

Bartender
YETI said:
Did anyone catch that auction? It sold for a whopping amount over $300! :eek: ... I'm a newbie ,by the way, and I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics :eek:
That is a great looking fedora.
As for the price.. we often talk about wanting to see people wearing hats. As interest grows we have to compete with more bidders.
Popularity stinks. :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ande1964 said:
Just spent a half hour staring at the computer, wondering about pulling the trigger on this hat. In the end, as usual, my less prudent side won out.

I've been wanting a light gray, and Borsos in my size don't show up much, even relatively modern ones, like this. I may not love it, but I think I can probably flip it without losing much, if I want to. What do you guys think on the date... '80s? I haven't done any research yet on this liner logo, and when it might have been used.

God... I should really quit going to ebay!

0f6d_3.JPG
1057_12.JPG

Anj

... you did well, you could ditch it for 2x what you paid, and you saved me from meself...and (more importantly) Mrs. Blaine. With six hats on the way :eek: I shouldn't be coveting too many more 'til I unload a few more, but you have to strike while the iron's hot, eh?

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Hey Dr., that's interesting.

I've gotten a couple of hats from this seller, both good transactions. One of 'em was a brown Stetson with a rather wide, raw edge brim. In fact, with the brim as wide as it was it almost had a zoot-suit feel to it. I like ample brims but this one never seemed right so I trimmed it down just a touch.

I notice in yours the same fabric tag inside applied to the liner. In more recent times, I suppose, it was the custom of some retailers to add this since the days of having the maker imprint your store name in gold on the sweatband had passed(?). In mine it reads,

J.J. HAT CENTER
1276 BROADWAY
NEW YORK

Hi Gene,

Well, what do you say, mine also has a tag from J.J. Hat Center.
Looks like our hats are brothers!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sharp, Anj. Those Borsalinos are hard to resist.

Rick Blaine said:
... With six hats on the way :eek:

It's always nice to know there's somebody worse than me. lol

I've got four outstanding plus a possible straw. :eusa_doh:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
... you did well, you could ditch it for 2x what you paid, and you saved me from meself...and (more importantly) Mrs. Blaine. With six hats on the way :eek: I shouldn't be coveting too many more 'til I unload a few more, but you have to strike while the iron's hot, eh?
Agreed on all points! I saw that one last night and almost went for it. Problem is I have a Borso Torino, the same color. I looked at it, looked at the auction. Looked at it, looked at the auction. Finally, I went to bed without buying it. I'm just very glad it went to someone here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
So Brando did it for you huh? When I was a kid and saw "Hogan's Heroes" I began wanting a crusher and have never gotten over it. One of these days...

Baron Kurtz said:
What do you guys reckon? I went for a cheap-o, $15 BIN, version (though it looks WWII original) to see if this style of hat suits me. If it does i'll get a better one. The "crusher" cap. This was the only photo in the listing.

26bc_1.JPG

For those who know me: Can you really see this working?

brando.jpg

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe