Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay hat, is it as old as seller claims? Opinions please

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Not even close to the 20's. The sweatband doesn't match up and the logos don't match up to that time period. Its an old "style" but thats it. I would say late 60's or early 70's personally.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Probably '70s or '80s, going by the sweatband. Almost definitely not beaver, either.
It's possible that it's an older hat that had the sweatband replaced, but I'm pretty doubtful.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Agree with Dinerman. Stevens era Stetson sweatband and felt looks more like modern--no evidence that its anything else in available photos.

Last edited:

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Glad to see what you fellers have written, because that's pretty much what I wrote to the seller; that the hat is not a pre 1920's, more like a 1970's at the oldest.

The felt doesn't look that old, it just looks dirty, the sweatband is not that old, nor is the way it's stitched into the hat done in the way it was done back in the 20's, and the emblem on the sweatband is not from that period. Also, there is no indication of beaver content on the sweatband, or "No.1 Quality" or any sort of felt designation.

I invited him to do some research here on the FL regarding Stetson liners, labels and sweatbands, but he wrote back firmly stating that he 'knew the history of the hat' and basically blew me off.

I wonder if he was snookered into buying this hat and is now in beaver denial; a mystery of which we'll never know the true tail . . . .

T Rick

Practically Family
When they fail to accept an offer of clear evidence from experts that their claims are incorrect, I generally take that as a sign that their description is not in error, but a deliberate intent to deceive for a higher than deserved sales price. This is bolstered in this case by his vagueness such as "I was told by a western store owner it was most likely 100 percent beaver but I am not sure" (tries to insinuate pure beaver yet denies responsibility for the comment).

He says he knows the hat's history? (But does not spell it out in the ad). I say he's a Con.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's good that you guys are out there, saving those who were going to drop five bills on a crap hat, and providing a free service for ebay.
30726-9659.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Why not ask a question on the auction page, worded in such a way as to tip off any unsuspecting/gullible bidders.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Why not ask a question on the auction page, worded in such a way as to tip off any unsuspecting/gullible bidders.

The question feature on eBay is set up so that the seller controls whether or not to publish the question and their answer. My note to him was via the question box, but he choose not to publish it and his reply to me.

I am not ready to label him a "con" at this point, as he may just have been conned himself and unwilling to accept the fact. As any cowboy knows, you can lead `em to water but you can't make `em think.

I will probably send him a link to this thread and an invitation to him to read it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Guys, why even bother? Policing eBay auctions is a full-time job. Educating sellers, whether they are well-intentioned or not, is just not worth the hassle. If somebody gets taken for a ride, it's their own fault for not doing research ahead of time. Give it a rest.

Brad

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Just to pile on, I also sent him a message. He basically told me he is sure that it is from the 1920s because a "hat store" told him it was.

If true, and at this point we have to accept it as such, that's sad.

Lefty, who's the 'internet tailor,' I could use some of that blue neon on one of my widebrims.

Tomasso, if you have a question for him its worth sending it to him, maybe he'll post the answer, if not, well let us know what he says as he does write back. I'm going to wait till later tonight before I send him a link to this thread.

HatsEnough

Banned
Guys, why even bother? Policing eBay auctions is a full-time job. Educating sellers, whether they are well-intentioned or not, is just not worth the hassle. If somebody gets taken for a ride, it's their own fault for not doing research ahead of time. Give it a rest.

Brad

Actually, I've left many notes for sellers on incorrect sales pitches over the years and not just on hats. 97% of the time the sellers are grateful to find out proper info and then change their auction to reflect that. Once in a while they are nice and thank me for the info but don't bother to change the auction and only infrequently do they get mad and stick to their off-base info. Just this week I've sent 5 messages to sellers and only one refused to change anything. The rest all did quickly and with thanks to me for the info.

For the most part I think it is worth the effort if you have time to do it. I have found that assuming that every ebay seller is out to be a rippoff artist is not only too cynical, but is generally not the truth.

I think I'll just go ahead and buy it, seeing how I'm about to come into a whole pile of money, on account of that nice fellow in Nigeria who's about to send me several hundred thousand in appreciation for my forwarding him enough dough to clear up some minor bureaucratic problems he was having in obtaining his inheritance.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
First, the sweat gives it away as not even being close to the 50s, let alone the 20s.
80s, maybe.
I'd say save your $150 and get a decent new Tom Mix. There are lots of western joints that sell them now.

Good luck.

Sam

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Ok, I sent him the link to this thread in an email and this is what he wrote back:

"Well since I was going by what the person told me when I bought the hat which was around 20 years ago or so that is all have to go by. I am a real honest person and if you check out the listing you will notice I have revised it
thanks."

Sorry TonyB, but you'll have to spend that Nigerian bankroll somewhere else, maybe Lefty will sell you that fancy neon internet suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust