Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DVD/VHS Combo

Hondo

One Too Many
I need some info, Christmas gift hunting.
Any one out there have a DVD/VHS combo?
Player & Recorder converter unit,
Whats the best fairly priced models out, if you have one.

Thanks!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a Philips that worked very well. Cost around $70 at Best Buy a few years ago. I was quite pleased with performance.

I JUST (this weekend) purchased a DVD player, 5.1 surround combo and I like that even more, but hey, who's counting?

Hondo

One Too Many
With so many VHS tapes, I want to get them (copy)
watch on one machine.
Looking for a Combination unit, DVD/VHR (all in one)
Player, recorder (DVD, DVR to VHS tapes, player, recorder)
Whats the name brand DVD player 5.1 surround combo?
I will check out Best Buy, I am wondering what others have,
Now they have "Blue-Ray" machines :eusa_doh:
With these I imagine you can view Blue Ray DVD,
it just doesn’t have same effect as on Blue Ray machine.
Nothing like googling my way, Thanks!

Flivver

Practically Family
I also have a large number of VHS tapes so I wanted a combo machine.

Most of the retailers around here have the Philips brand. I bought a Philips combo about a year ago. I'm quite happy with it.

There seem to be two basic versions available. You can get one with a mono VHS deck or a 4-head stereo VHS deck. I went with the stereo model. Not only does it provide stereo sound, it also allows you to pause and edit tapes more easily. Well worth the extra $20 of cost.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I recently helped my parents purchase a 2 for 1 unit and this is the one i had them buy.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...80354/catOid/-12866/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I read a bunch of reviews and this one seemed to be the best. One of the things I found out is that most if not all of these combo units don't come with a tv tuner. That means if you want to record tv programs you have to do a special hookup with RCA cables. The TV cable does not run directly into the unit via coaxial wire. So that's something to consider and look into if that's a priority.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i have a sony combo that has held up fine for the last few years. back then i think it was over $100 but i'm sure its much lower now. with all the tapes i have i hope they keep making these...

Flivver

Practically Family
Panasonic was one of the inventors of the VHS format. Every Panasonic deck I've ever owned has given outstanding service.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Twas JVC, not Panasonic

Flivver said:
Panasonic was one of the inventors of the VHS format. Every Panasonic deck I've ever owned has given outstanding service.

"Victor Company of Japan, Limited (日本ビクター株式会社, Nippon Bikutā Kabushiki-gaisha?) (TYO: 6792), usually referred to as JVC, is an international consumer and professional electronics corporation based in Yokohama, Japan which was founded in 1927. The company is best known for introducing Japan's first televisions, and developing the VHS video recorder".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC

Flivver

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
"Victor Company of Japan, Limited (日本ビクター株式会社, Nippon Bikutā Kabushiki-gaisha?) (TYO: 6792), usually referred to as JVC, is an international consumer and professional electronics corporation based in Yokohama, Japan which was founded in 1927. The company is best known for introducing Japan's first televisions, and developing the VHS video recorder".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC

You are absolutely right!

I apologize for continuing to spread mis-information I learned as "folklore" back in the 1980s.

As it turns out (now that I've done the research I should have done initially), Matsushita (Panasonic) joined with JVC early on to help promote the VHS format that JVC indeed had invented. I guess that's how the folklore got started.

Hondo

One Too Many
Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo Player

I am going to try out "Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo Player" first, see how this one does, Panasonic, JVC also are good, I will report of my review of Toshiba.
Anyone know of "Closed Captioning"? Its for the hearing impaired.
Some machines don't pick up captioning, I am recording some movies for my hearing impaired friend, so I hope Toshiba picks it up on coping.
Thanks for the feedback! :eusa_clap

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But I believe all the units mentioned here only VHS recorder/players with a DVD player (no DVD recorder). If you're goal is to copy VHS to DVD, you need one that also records DVD's, not just plays them. Most of those are well over $200.

Hondo

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle: Thanks! I thought it was kind of cheap for transferring VHS to DVD :eek: Duh!!! should have known better, when Toshiba arrives I may keep it, just as a player, will take a look at Best Buy on other models, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82