Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunlap Superior

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well I got me a fairly pretty one today.:) It's a brand that I have little knowledge of so if anyone here can enlighten me on the pedigree of this hat it would be most appreciated. It is a Dunlap Superior, Browning-King Co. They state that it is from the 20's or 30's, although I'm not totally sure about that claim.
The leather sweatband and the liner appear to be in pretty good shape. As does the body of the hat. It's hard to tell from just the photographs, but it may never have been worn. Plus, if it is from the 20's, this will be a gem. But I'm not holding my breath. For now, I look at it as a very nice hat that begs to be worn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110115820729&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

So, if anybody has any information to share on this brand I would love to hear about it. Thanks for looking!:)

Cheers!

Dan

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
So you beat me to it Dan. I'm glad it went to a fellow lounger. The truth is I think the brim is a little bigger than listed if it's from the 1930's. Enjoy your new hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sorry about that Steven. I just saw the hat and jumped on it. I didn't pay attention to who was bidding on it. I could only hope that it is from the 20's. Thank you for your kind words.

Cheers!

Dan

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I saw that one, too small for me but I'm glad it's going to a good home. Looks like a wonderful hat.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Congratulations Daniel!

You beat me by a dollar, but my mind is put at ease knowing that it went to a fellow lounger who will give it the good home it deserves.
Do post some pictures when it gets in your hands.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Would love to know more...

Other than that article, does anybody have any information about the Dunlap Hat Co. or the Browning-King Co.? What was the quality and such, when were they at their apex? Did they get absorbed and lost their names or did they go the way of the dodo? I would love to know more of the history of the companies that made these hats. Was this a 20's or 30's hat, or was this something they made in the 40's, if they happen to be around then?[huh]

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can impart on this hat pilgrim.

Cheers!

Dan

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Highlights from the article:

"The average hat size is 7 1/8."

There are mountains of vintage fedoras in this size!

"The largest hat ever made was a special order from a Ringling Brothers Giant, who weighed 480 pounds and took an 8 7/8."

Which makes us realize all the more how very lucky Big Kahuna was to find this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18230

"Figures on hat sales show that many a thrifty U.S. citizen must wear old hats through new seasons, as U. S. hat consumption is only half a hat per capita per annum."

And this was in early 1929, practically at the height of the stock market boom! Heck, we buy fedoras more often than that.

dnjan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Highlights from the article:

"Figures on hat sales show that many a thrifty U.S. citizen must wear old hats through new seasons, as U. S. hat consumption is only half a hat per capita per annum."

And this was in early 1929, practically at the height of the stock market boom! Heck, we buy fedoras more often than that.

So that means that as a 50-year-old, I should have owned 25 hats just to be average! Think my wife will accept that statistical interpretation??? :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- I've got a derby from Browining King. I think it was a very high end department store. I could be wrong, though.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful hat, Dan! I'm quite envious!

If that's a Cavanagh Edge, as it looks to be, then the hat dates no earlier than 1930. Knox also used the name "Custom Edge," beginning in 1931, and since Knox owned Dunlap at that point, it looks as if they may have shared the name.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more photos!

Brad

nulty

One of the Regulars
dnjan said:
So that means that as a 50-year-old, I should have owned 25 hats just to be average! Think my wife will accept that statistical interpretation??? :)

She'll have to now won't she , after all it's a statistical reality.....

There'e no avoiding it....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally