Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts are dead.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I was at the store earlier, I think it was Mervyn's...

Well, I of course went in the suits section to poke around - they had some okay suits, but really nothing very spectacular - and eventually I ended up in the men's dress clothing section. I was kind of in need of a new dress shirt, so I took a look around.

I'm not even kidding; I couldn't find a single white shirt.

Perhaps it was because of "spring", but regardless, there were basically four colors of dress shirts. Bright blue, red, bright yellow, and black.

I'm not talking about a classic blue shirt - I mean like crayon blue shirt. And the yellow was horrible, this nasty, chalky color. There were pictures on the walls of men wearing these shirts under their suits, and frankly they all looked like idiots.

I think that the modern industry is simply breaking farther and farther away from classic styling. I guess, we're just at the point where we all demand something new and exotic; even if that means a chalk-yellow dress shirt.

Any thoughts? Or, am I just crazy...? [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Marshalls and TJ Maxx have brand name shirts like Land's End, Geoffrey Beane, Tommy Hilfiger, Sean John, Ralph Lauren, etc. All the quality and 1/3 the price.
Good budget minded purchases.

Jovan

Suspended
Mmm, yes. I did see a nice RL button down (I like how they construct their collars and cuffs. No fusing to speak of.) for $35, but decided to hold off. I could get one made to my measurements by Baron Boutique for $10 more. That or wait until it's reduced. I doubt many of the guys who shop there have a taste for blue/white Bengal stripe button down shirts.

Jovan

Suspended
Sorry! Getting back on topic, yes, you haven't been looking at the right places. Look for sales at Dillard's. They have plain white cotton dress shirts that go for as little as $20 sometimes (and are a much better deal than those 1MX shirts at Express Men when they're on sale for that much). They aren't constructed the best or very close fitting, but they aren't absolute TENTS either and have nicely shaped collars.

Weird names!

I have gotten some dress shirts at the 3 Day Suit Broker that are pretty good and they had a multitude of sizes. If you have a big neck they can help with dress shirts.

Privious to that I would buy Van Huesens, Arrow or Macy's store brand.
And usually wait for a sale.

warbird

One Too Many
I don't have any problem finding nice shirts at a good price. Some of the discount places already mentioned, plus I probably get most of mine at sierratradingpost.com .

Sometimes I do have a hard time finding dress shirts w/o button down cvollars. I usually wear ties when I wear a dress shirt. A tie looks horrible with a button down collar IMO unless you are going for a prep school regimental tie and khaki look. But heavens no, not with a suit.

Jovan

Suspended
cary-grant-sm.jpg

Always been my inspiration to wear button downs with ties AND suits. ;)

Jovan

Suspended
[huh] To me, a button down is just another style of collar. I've never gotten this separation people want to impose on it from point collars.

And yes, it looks fantastic with French cuffs.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Ehh. It's Mervyns. You were doing the equivalent of looking for a chicken pot pie at Arby's.

:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

And is it any wonder, with the product lines that Mervyn's carries, that they're teetering on the edge of being out of business? They had to close all their Oregon & Washington stores last year and quite a few California as well I believe.

warbird

One Too Many
I'm certain that's why they make different styles. Cary Grant was able to look good in any style. I'm no Cary Grant. For the most part, especially with certain styles of suits button down collars look terrible on me, and to my eye on almost everybody.

There are other style collars i think only good with certain styles of suits. I have button down collar dress shirts and wear them every week, but not with a suit. And I have quite a few french cuffed shirts, but I would never buy a french cuff button down.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In California we have Ross. It's a chain. I get Van Heusen shirts for ten or eleven dollars there. I have every conceivable shade.
Do youse guys have Ross where you live?
I haven't a strong opinion about button down plus tie, but I never ever wear them myself with a tie because people made fun of me once. I wear button down collars only sans tie.
I saw a visiting professor from France wearing button down collar with a tie, and I didn't think it looked too good.
I agree Cary Grant looks marvelous in that picture, but I can barely see the buttons in it.
Feraud, I'll start looking in Marshall's. There's one in San Francisco.

Jovan

Suspended
Doran said:
I haven't a strong opinion about button down plus tie, but I never ever wear them myself with a tie because people made fun of me once.
My friend, if we all stopped wearing certain things because of people making fun of us once, we wouldn't be the vintage clotheshorses we are now!

That said, there is a Ross here, but there's rarely anything good.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Gone & Good Riddance

Mike in Seattle said:
:eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol :eusa_clap lol

And is it any wonder, with the product lines that Mervyn's carries, that they're teetering on the edge of being out of business? They had to close all their Oregon & Washington stores last year and quite a few California as well I believe.

Mervyn's has also packed it in and left Colorado as well :) Very poor quality clothing IMHO at any price.

On the other hand, JC Penney is always a good bet for good quality white dress shirts.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Kohl's usually has a fine selection of dress shirts at a decent price. I've gotten a couple there with a very 30's look to the collar, and have managed to find a french cuff dress shirt there with the same type of collar. If you need a slightly classier shirt I would suggest the Men's Warehouse.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally