Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Where did you watch it?

I actually watched it on ITV's website (the channel that airs it - it appears on their website 90 minutes after the televised version). Since it is a British website, however, you can't play it in the U.S. unless you use a VPN (virtual private network) to watch it. I use Tunnelbear. www.tunnelbear.com It's perfectly legal and you don't have to worry about downloading questionable links from questionable sites that are most definitely *not* legal.

A lot of people living in the UK that want to watch American shows use it, and UK residents living in America use it as it works both ways.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The "Shirley and Maggie Show" is what I'd call this episode. Must say that "the blushing bride" is gettin' on my last nerve. Man ain't even your husband yet and you sweatin' him for cash. I'm not one for hittin' women buy ye gads they can move a man to do violence. If she's going to be like this all season I don't know if I can take another episode. She could have the money and her house but she wouldn't have me. Shirley and Maggie were magnificent, it was like watching Ali vs. Liston. Just when you thought Maggie had her on the ropes... wham, Shirl would counter with a quick combo and dance away.. well worth the price of admission.

Worf

Last edited:

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I gave up on the show very early last season, but I did enjoy last night's documentary about the estate itself. In the hour preceding the episode on my PBS station. Very interesting.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I enjoyed the first episode of this new season, but it seems to be getting more soapy all the time. Granted, practically everything has some element of a soap opera in it. But still....

Also, why the heck are Robert and Violet so insistent on splitting up Sir Anthony and Edith? Give the girl a darned break, she's got a point about what the war did to young men and they seem to make a good couple. He certainly has mellowed Edith.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Yes, that was really out of left field for them to do that to Edith. Regardless of his age, I thought the whole point of upper class marriage then was to secure a good position?

I loved the 'indoor picnic' and that it was more of a success than if the dinner had gone off unhitched. :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edith is the whipping girl. I mean really, your choices are:
1. Let her marry someone with a title, money, who seems to care for her (and her for him)
2. Be a spinster and make her the responsibility of Matthew and Mary (who have no finanicial worries- oh wait)
3. Marry her off to someone she doesn't love and right now doesn't exist.

I'm hoping against hope that Edith is successfully married because it looks like Violet is still throwing a fuss in the next episode. Edith's character (while not so nice in season 1) has really improved in terms of niceness and caring. She's actually making Mary look like a whiner and the bad sister. My opinion of Mary really went down when she started trying to fleece her grandmother. It wouldn't have been so bad if she had any respect for her, but obviously only cared about her money. That's pretty evil and isn't something that the grandmother deserved, grandma wasn't all that bad. Mary's getting awful uppity. I would like to see Mary get taken down a notch the way she's been acting.

I do get why Mary is angry at Matthew though.

I can see some fantastic twists that could happen but I doubt they will.

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
I saw that special too, it was quite interesting. I was surprised to learn that the setting up of the castle as a recuperation area actually happened. You have to respect Lord and Lady Carnarvon who want to keep the spirit of the castle alive. Also I must say the series has a lot of really nice hats!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I watched a little of episode 1 the other night, and I must say, the show irritates me more and more. Aside from the soapy plot, there are SO many anachronistic things they throw in, from the familiarity between lord and butler, to the constant little winks to the future, e.g. "Here, have one of these new cocktails." I mean puhleeeeze, gimme a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth