Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don Fanucci hat?

bdcochran01

New in Town
My hat collection is not complete (5 top hats alone!). I have to find a Don Fanucci hat as worn in the Godfather. Who makes it and the model number? Thank you.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Okay, the lack of answers speaks volumes, but I will jump in with a few observations mostly to spur discussion.

Fanucci has a white/bone hat of what seems like a nice thin soft felt which is in keeping with this character's wealth. (The color sometimes looks cream, but I think this is due to the lighting.) It has a deep full crown. The crown looks hand shaped (tight 3 fingered pinch) and the brim varies a bit as he wears it in different scenes. The brim appears to have a raw edge. Almost always left up all around but a few times a bit turned down in front. His hat band is quite wide with a regular looking bow to my eye. I can think of a few hats with some similar elements, but not the complete combination.

I would think that a number of hatters on this forum could make a very credible facsimile for you, but I see no off-the-shelf model which would do it justice.

On the other hand, a Stetson Grand Central Royal Deluxe in Open Crown as sold by Del Monico would be as close as I see in a quick and simple project. Far from perfect, it is the only option regular production option that I see. The Stetson brim is not raw and is arguably a bit narrow - especially if you trim the overwelt edge. But with some shaping and a replacement band (wrong color) it would be in the ballpark.

Good luck,
Fed

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Okay, the lack of answers speaks volumes, but I will jump in with a few observations mostly to spur discussion.

Fanucci has a white/bone hat of what seems like a nice thin soft felt which is in keeping with this character's wealth. (The color sometimes looks cream, but I think this is due to the lighting.) It has a deep full crown which appears to have a raw edge. The crown looks hand shaped (tight 3 fingered pinch) and the brim varies a bit as he wears it in different scenes. Almost always left up all around but a few times a bit turned down in front. His hat band is quite wide with a regular looking bow to my eye. I can think of a few hats with some similar elements, but not the complete combination.

I would think that a number of hatters on this forum could make a very credible facsimile for you, but I see no off-the-shelf model which would do it justice.

On the other hand, a Stetson Grand Central Royal Deluxe in Open Crown as sold by Del Monico would be as close as I see in a quick and simple project. Far from perfect, it is the only option regular production option that I see. The Stetson brim is not raw and is arguably a bit narrow - especially if you trim the overwelt edge. But with some shaping and a replacement band it would be in the ballpark.

Good luck,
Fed
"Just enough (info) to wet his beak..."

Bigger Don

Practically Family

Fanucci has a white/bone hat of what seems like a nice thin soft felt which is in keeping with this character's wealth. (The color sometimes looks cream, but I think this is due to the lighting.) It has a deep full crown which appears to have a raw edge. The crown looks hand shaped (tight 3 fingered pinch) and the brim varies a bit as he wears it in different scenes. Almost always left up all around but a few times a bit turned down in front. His hat band is quite wide with a regular looking bow to my eye. I can think of a few hats with some similar elements, but not the complete combination.

On the other hand, a Stetson Grand Central Royal Deluxe in Open Crown as sold by Del Monico would be as close as I see in a quick and simple project. Far from perfect, it is the only option regular production option that I see. The Stetson brim is not raw and is arguably a bit narrow - especially if you trim the overwelt edge. But with some shaping and a replacement band it would be in the ballpark.

Good luck,
Fed
Last week when I was at Batsake's in Cincinnati I think I may have seen what you may be looking for.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Given the character's origins, Borsalino would be an obvious presumption & the model number is 330X100005OP9841016000000000000000000000040000000000000000000079 minus the number you first thought of. Please note that this particular model is no longer made.
Hope this helps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82