Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do any Repro 1930s/40s greatcoats/overcoats have the weight & thickness of originals?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have been looking at reproduction British, German, and USA great coats and overcoats from the 1930's and 1940's. I want one of these for daily wear in the cold north (think 0f - 20f) but due my size (48 - 52 depending on the cut) reproduction seems the only way. My issue is I want that really heavy and thick feel of the original, you know, the coats that our fathers and grandfathers tell stories about due to their extreme weight.

Do any reproductions actually have these traits or should I just with hold out for an original hopefully (if they even were made in my size) or simply give up?

Thanks.

JLStorm

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
I have been looking at reproduction British, German, and USA great coats and overcoats from the 1930's and 1940's. I want one of these for daily wear in the cold north (think 0f - 20f) but due my size (48 - 52 depending on the cut) reproduction seems the only way. My issue is I want that really heavy and thick feel of the original, you know, the coats that our fathers and grandfathers tell stories about due to their extreme weight.

Do any reproductions actually have these traits or should I just with hold out for an original hopefully (if they even were made in my size) or simply give up?

Thanks.

They dont have the length goat Im looking for, Im looking for something longer than a pea coat...more like a greatcoat 46 - 48" I have found some sites that make them out of 32 oz wool...but I dont know if thats really how thick they used to be made in the 1930's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82