Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dick Proenneke, Survivalist of Twin Lakes. Could you do it?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've just seen (again) the PBS program about Richard "Dick" Proenneke, who, at 51 years of age, built a cabin from scratch in the Alaskan wilderness and lived there, alone, for 35+ years. If he needed a sled, he built it from felled saplings. An extraordinary man.

Could you do it? Could you survive alone in the wilderness, braving temps at 45F below zero year after year?

proenneke_door_wrap.jpg

Flora

Familiar Face
Nah, I could never live the hermit lifestyle. I have ADHD, so I need attention and to complain to someone year after year! :D

S

Samsa

If necessity demanded it, probably. Not something I would voluntarily do.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
This documentary is one that I'll always stop to watch if I catch it while flipping through the channels. Extraordinary man.

I'd never be able to do the physical labor necessary to live that way (to say nothing of putting up with the insects!), but the film appeals to my love of hiking and being in beautiful, rural settings where you feel like you're the only person in the world. For me, solitude is wonderful in small doses, but not for 35 years.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
The book & DVD

The first time I saw it on PBS I was almost spellbound. There is a book too; it gives much more interesting background information. I ordered a copy of the DVD and the book it's based on almost instantly.

I was amazed at the overall endeavor; but the amount of firewood he would have had to continually chop would have been staggering.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's something extremely appealing about it. Traveling light (who NEEDS all this crap, anyway? 100+ neckties? Geez!), being completely self-reliant, answerable to no one, and the tremendously therapeutic hard physical labor. I'd love to have a go.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thought you folks might be interested in these photos

This thread reminded me of my great uncle Mike who went to Alaska as a young man to help build airstrips. He returned with his wife, Vi, in the early 1960s and together they built their own house and lived in a pretty rural area. They stayed there for 20-25 years until Viv died and Mike moved back to Minnesota for the last years of his life. I met Mike when I was in my early teens but I wish I had had more time with him--very sweet man.

cabin.jpg

The cabin they built

Wood.jpg

Written on the back of the photo: "Mike Vandegrift Lake Clark Alaska First load of wood 1963; Now have hydrolic steering and better hitch! 1966; Notice the automatic tread tightener on the trailer treads!

mikebeard.jpg

Written on the back; "Just a little COLD!"

and my favorite:

mikeinlake.jpg

What a he man!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I could never do that. I know my great-great grandfather went into the wilderness in Alaska with other men and lived in a snow cave for awhile. I forget what they were doing there, but we have a photo of the snow cave and the men standing in front of it, and it's crazy. Just this large expanse of white.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I'm glad someone is doing it...

...because I'm not. Could do it, have done it, not doing it again. I'm done with that stuff. Jeeves, bring me another G&T -- I'm getting woozy.:p

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
from my generation?

I've only personally known one guy that I think could have stood a chance at surviving in Alaska like Dick Proenneke and he was a good old country boy former Green Beret. Proenneke was incredibly tough and very resourceful like others from his generation. (The generation of The Great Depression and World War Two.) He did have supplies flown in and was methodical about preparations.

The two most famous Alaskan Adventurers from my generation: Timothy Treadwell and Christopher McCandless.

Have any of you seen Grizzly Man directed by Werner Hertzog? It's about Timothy Treadwell the guy that spent thirteen summers trying to commune with the Grizzly Bears until he and his girlfriend were eaten. The footage is amazing.

Christopher McCandless dropped out of society and wandered around the US and called himself "Alexander Supertramp" then went off to Alaska and died after accidentally eating the wrong wild berries or starving to death. Jon Krakauer(a real adventurer) wrote a book called into "Into The Wild" about him and Sean Penn is making a movie of Krakauer's book due out in September.

If anyone decides to do this I'd seriously recommend using Proenneke as a role model.

Les

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe