Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you help me date these Opera glasses?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I don't know... Does the 65 mean they're from 1965?
How do you like them?
They've already become quite useful. :D

(please excuse my disgusting floor)

og1dq2.jpg

operaglasses2ix9.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Russian stuff that is dated usually includes the "19" in the year, and ends in "r." IE, something made in 1940 would be marked "1940r" not "40." I would say the circle/triangle marking denotes the factory where it was made, but that is really all I can guess. The English markings are bit of a mystery, it certainly seems an odd product for export.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
Russian stuff that is dated usually includes the "19" in the year, and ends in "r." IE, something made in 1940 would be marked "1940r" not "40." I would say the circle/triangle marking denotes the factory where it was made, but that is really all I can guess. The English markings are bit of a mystery, it certainly seems an odd product for export.

I was just reading an article that came up when I googled 'Made in USSR' ....that gave stats on the number of import products that the US bought post War......from Russia....including stuff that was made in Gulags..and it was interesting to note, one of the people they interviewed pointed at a chair and it had the 'Made in USSR' marking on it........so it is possible that it was of a similar origin.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:

or it at least looks like an r.....

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
The "r" would refer to "rok" (means year in polish... I am guessing it means the same in Russian).
Hmmm...But the USSR mark pretty much nixes it as a Golden Era item right? :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok....

They were made by the Lytkarino Optical Glass Factory aka LZOZ

http://www.lzos.ru/

In the bottom middle pane of the large graphic is their factory emblem.....the triangle circle and the C in the middle.

They have been in business since around 1942...but I would go by the history page and wager they were making only military products until well after the war

Company History here:

http://www.lzos.ru/en/history.htm

So...if you go with a post war window......of late 40's and a 'last possible date for that marking' date of 1991...add a year or so for them to have possibly made a few more pair with already embossed plastic parts....

1950- 1993?

Not a very precise window....sorry

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok....am PM'ing you links for two auctions for a pair just like them minus the export Made in USSR...
Both of those auctions says 50'-70's....

But they are still great looking regardless of date....Opera Glasses haven't changed all that much over the years.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tinseltown said:
The "r" would refer to "rok" (means year in polish... I am guessing it means the same in Russian).

Nods...thats why I was saying it looks like an r...its really not a latin alphabet character at all....

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie - Thank you! I read the PM too.
Mine seem in very good condition compared to the 2nd auction posted.

I wonder if they're worth anything... Not that I wanna sell them...:)

I'll just convince myself that they're from the 50's. lol

optimusprime

New in Town
Tinseltown said:

The "r" in question is actually a Cyrillic "г" (pronounced G as in Gamma), which is short for "год" which means year in English. The USSR mark seems more likely to include it as a possible product of the Golden Era... US-Soviet relations were relatively mild from 1930-1945. It was only after WWII, when the Soviets controlled everything east of Berlin, that the Soviets and the west parted ways...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82