Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cornerstone of Peace--Okinawa Peace Memorial

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Today--June 23rd-- is the 65th anniversary of the end of the Battle of Okinawa.
The Cornerstone of Peace, is located in the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park, erected in 1995 on the 50th anniversary commemorates all the dead from the battle, regardless of their nationality. Even those whose names are lost, are engraved as "## ##'s child". Names are added each year as they become known.
Every year on this day, a memorial service is held on the park grounds. This is a day of prayer and meditation for the citizens of Okinawa, a day for the message and hopes of eternal world peace from Okinawa to the rest of the world including mainland Japan.

If you ever get the chance to visit Okinawa, if you know of someone who lost his/her life in the battle, then please take the time to visit the park, and if you know someone's name, then take the time to find that name.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPbnEwzWGDE&hl=ja_JP&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPbnEwzWGDE&hl=ja_JP&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Chas

One Too Many
Okinawa is on my "to go there" list when I get back to Japan.

That battle certainly had a nightmarish quality to it, for sure. Thanks for sharing that.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
My Uncle fought there, and was wounded. Reading accounts of the battle,one has to be saddened by the heartbreaking,tragic fate of so many civilians (mainly women and children),who were so afraid to surrender to the Americans,due to what they were falsely told by the IJA would be their fate in the hands of the Americans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld