Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper G-1 questions/issues

lawrencem

New in Town
hey there ... I'm Lawrence, and I live in New Zealand. I'm new to these forums, although I've been a fan of all things flight-jacket since I was about 13, back in (ahem) 1988.

Anyway, a few months ago my beloved German flight jacket (one of those grey leather ones) saved me when I came off my Vespa on the motorway, but sacrificed its own life in the process, and I'm on the lookout for a new jacket.

I want to get a Cooper G-1 from the US. (And yes, I'm aware that McCoy in NZ also makes them, although even factoring in international postage the Cooper is about half the price of a McCoy, and to be honest I like the idea of getting the exact same jacket as currently issued to Navy pilots.)

I am, however, a bit freaked out about sizing, and have had a few conversations via email with the people from Neil Cooper USA about what size I should get. (I don't have a "jacket size", seeing as I don't really have any other jackets which haven't been bought at charity shops.) My chest measurement is just over 42". The guy from Neil Cooper said a size 44 had a 52" chest, and that he thought that would be a good size for me. Does that sound about right? I don't want that super-tight look that people who are into A-2s seem to like, as I'll often be wearing a jumper or something underneath, but similarly don't want it too baggy either. (I don't dress "military" ... I just really like leather flight jackets, if that makes any sense.)

My other measurements, if this makes things a little easier for anyone to extrapolate.

> Height: 1.78m / 5.84 ft
> Weight: 98 kg / 216 lbs
> Waist: 107.5cm / 42.32 in
> Chest: 107.5cm / 42.32 in

Any helpful advice appreciated, and pelased to meet you all

Lawrence

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Try this handy little link,....

......you will find a size comparison chart that covers measurements of most manufacturer's A2's,.....maybe at least another link to G1's. There's tons of info on this site.

I can tell you that I measure 45" in the chest and I wear a Cooper size 44,(among other brands) with no problem. Hope you find your dream jacket. :)

http://acmedepot.com/a2jacket/measure.shtml

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Actually I have an A2 by Cooper.

And the fit is good. Not too snug, and yet not overly roomy.
I like the looks of their G1's and may just get one soon myself. Never tried one on though, so I can't say for sure how they fit.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the lounge. Drinks are on me.:cheers1:

lawrencem

New in Town
one final G-1 question ...

...before I hit the sack.

In my googling of G-1s the last few weeks, I've seen a lot of people selling "mil spec" G-1s. I know Cooper is (or, at least, was) an offical contractor, and that the G-1s at neilcooperusa.com are (allegedly) offical issue.

I was wondering if anyone here knew which other companies were making G-1s which are going into active service. And similarly, who makes the current issue A-2 now? According the the Cooper site, they made them up until the late 90s. Is the A-2 still in service?

Thanks, and sorry for the long, rambling posts ... I'm off to bed now. (It's almost 10pm here right now, and I've had a looooong day.)

Lawrence

Paden

Vendor
Hi,

the A2 ist still in duty and the contract goes from company to company.
The G1 is a very good jacket and it wears better then the G1s of the 60th or 70th.
I will say, 44 is the right size for you.
But do not take the long version, take 44R.
The mil. version got the nylon collar, better is the mouton collar.
A lot of people sell jackets as mil version with side entry pockets.
A original jacket is without side entry pockets.
many jackets are com??ng from oversea, the cooper G1 is Made in USA.
The only way for an american flight jacket.
If you order a jacket, please send greetings to Neil Cooper from Ingo- Germany.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cooper G-1

Hi Lawrence,

I have an issued 1992 Cooper G-1 and the fit is true to size. This is actually unusual in that G-1s have traditionally varied greatly within tagged sizes from maker to maker and from contract to contract. Please remember that a G-1 is a trim-fitting jacket. It was designed for young pilots in top physical condition---there isn't much belly room in a G-1!

Cooper is no longer the supplier to the USN. Excelled Leather is. But the Cooper G-1 now being sold on the civilian market is exactly like the ones issued to U.S. Navy fliers in the 1990s. I recently held a civilian Cooper in one hand and my issued one in the other and except for the tag, I found them to be the very same jacket.

All issued G-1s, regardless of maker, have had synthetic collars since 1969 when mouton was replaced with Dynel. I think that Cooper offers mouton as an option on their civilian model. If so, I urge you to go for the mouton. The look and feel are greatly different than Dynel and you will be glad you did.

Finally, are you sure you want a new G-1 as opposed to an original? E-bay is full of vintage, original G-1s at reasonable prices. If not abused, these originals tend to evaluate in price whereas repros (and the civilian Cooper would be considered a repro) tend to lose their value very quickly. Also, most collectors will tell you that the older G-1s (D-series and older) are of a much better quality than newer models.

One last thing: There is a forum out there called Vintage Leather Jackets Index. The guys there, some of which are also here, possess a wealth of knowledge about this subject. Please check us out!

Atticus

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Current Issue A-2s

Hi again Lawrence,

I forgot to address your A-2 questions. No new contracts were issued for the original A-2 after 1942 although USAAF and USAF pilots continued to wear the ones that had been produced before 1942 well into the Korean War. In 1987 the USAF reintroduced the A-2 after a forty-five year absence. Cooper was one of the contractors of the original A-2 during WWII and they were the first to produce the new A-2. They produced it for the Air Force under the brand "Saddlery" until 1997. Avirex now has the contract. But beware: While Avirex makes a very nice jacket for the military, the stuff they sell on the civilian market is NOTHING like it. A mil-spec Cooper is a much better choice in my opinion. A RMNZ would be even a better choice!

Atticus

green papaya

One Too Many
lawrencem said:
My chest measurement is just over 42". The guy from Neil Cooper said a size 44 had a 52" chest, and that he thought that would be a good size for me. Does that sound about right? I don't want that super-tight look that people who are into A-2s seem to like, as I'll often be wearing a jumper or something underneath, but similarly don't want it too baggy either. (I don't dress "military" ... I just really like leather flight jackets, if that makes any sense.)

My other measurements, if this makes things a little easier for anyone to extrapolate.

Lawrence

you should buy size 46 regular, since your chest is close to 43" inches a SZ 44R will be too small, plus you said you do plan to wear something underneath, so you do need the bigger size for a proper fit
G1's are not cut "baggy" so a 46 Regualr should fit the best

G1's run a little small, they are made for trim people

your 42 chest and 42 waist means your very stocky, if you buy a 44
the mid section will be too tight, go with the 46 regular

bfrench

Familiar Face
Cooper G-1 questions / issues

lawrencem said:
I want to get a Cooper G-1 from the US. (And yes, I'm aware that McCoy in NZ also makes them, although even factoring in international postage the Cooper is about half the price of a McCoy, and to be honest I like the idea of getting the exact same jacket as currently issued to Navy pilots.)

I am, however, a bit freaked out about sizing,

Lawrence

Hi, Lawrence,

I would look into a M-422a made by Flight Suits (Gibson and Barnes).

It is the historic version of that model and the forerunner of the G-1.

It has a mouton collar, rayon lining, goatskin and very close reproduction which includes the original type ribrack waistband.

By ordering from their website you get the old price - by telephone it's $100.00 more.

You'll not be disappointed by spending an extra $100.00 up front for this historic model.

Here's the url

http://www.flightsuits.com

You'll probably need a size 46 if you want to wear layers underneath plus the little extra sizing now will probably be filled in as you age - like a lot of us you put on a little extra baggage with age.

The VLJ also has a review of the jacket in the Review section.

They also come up for auction on eBay once in a while.

As was said before - you can get an early model G-1 original with minimal wear on eBay if you are persistant and not in a hurry.

Bill French

Paden

Vendor
Hi again me,

we sell the cooper G1 in Germany, ist is much more baggy than the M422a, for example from Aero.
It is the modern day version.
My weight is 78kg and I am 1,76m tall and I wear 38R.
My M422a ia size 44.
So I think, 44 is the right size.
It is allway a problem to sell jackets, when there is a big different between weight and tall.
The easiest way is to send the customer two jackets and he will take the jackets that fits.
If you take the jacket to big, it will hang, if you take it to small, you feel bad.
So the G2 from cooper is a alternative, same leather, military jacket, but easier to wear.
A good jacket.
But they sell in again in far 2006.
If you are not sure about the size, do not risk it, you will loose to much money.
Hope, I could help you.

Paden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken