Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clearwater hats

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe Bowlerman has a hat from them. I thought about it a while back, but they removed the plantation hat and a BotP style I was interested in years back.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yep, good memory, neo. I have a black derby. I had to stretch it a bit, but that's probably because I measured too tightly and cut out my cardboard headform poorly. So I have a bit of front and back taper now but it still wears well. Good quality fur felt, NOT finely pounced (doesn't bother me at all in this case) and an old style very wide and thin leather sweatband. Some o the photos on their website might lead you to believe their hats look like the vintage photos, but if you order a rolled brim, obviously don't expect anything close to a D'Orsay curl.

My only pic handy at the moment (horsehair band bought separately):

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376239926688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376239926688.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,249

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Tim's a great guy to work with. Uses virtually the same materials, and takes a lot of pride in historical accuracy, particularly with regard to the American civil war.
I'll try and get a photo of my Tim bender hat here soon.
Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

hatflick1

Practically Family
Thanks, all, for the feedback.
Looks like a safe place to order a
derby for old west shows held locally
and in Nevada.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I too, have a bowler from them. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to better hats, so I can't add any comparison thoughts.

It is one of my favorites and I wear it often. I've decided to treat it like a real workingman's hat and wear it while camping, and such. When the weather turns chilly again, I'll probably wear it even more.

It took a looong time from ordering it to receiving it, which they clearly explained it would.

(I would order from them again, and I think there may be a top hat in my future.)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hey Pinhead, I'd love to see pics of yours if you'd post them here. I didn't think Clearwater had too long of a turnaround time, but then again my basis for comparison at the time was Knudsen Hats and Falcon Park Hattery. Each of those had a long (but expected) wait.

On a side note, I've always kind of wanted one of their "Mosby" style hats. It seems like a very low topper, but others seem to classify it as a flat topped derby. I don't know which is more correct, but I think I like it. Sometimes I wonder whether Tom Petty's old brown one is in this style.

Here are some more shots of my Clearwater, and my Tim Bender below it. The felt bodies seem very similar, and there are some stylistic similarities between sweatband and liners.

8cw3.jpg

015ufj.jpg

490l.jpg

This is Tim Bender's "medium crown bowler," in pecan, though others may refer to it as a beehive.

ra3y.jpg

d4jz.jpg

022rgu.jpg

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Is there anyone else who makes hats like that Shiloh, without having to do the head conformer thing? I know my head measurement and that I'm a long oval, I doubt I could use a paper cutout to make it any clearer.

Haversack

One Too Many
I've four hats from Clearwater. Two John Bulls, (pecan, tan), a low-crown brown derby, and a black high-crown top hat. Last time I ordered from them was in 2002. The pecan John Bull gets worn a lot. Once after I was caught in a heavy downpour Art reblocked it for me. (That was back when he was still in Rodeo). I've also had the ribbon replaced by the ladies at Paul's Hats. It my go-to hat for when I want to get out of the City. I'll see if I can dredge up a photo or two

Haversack.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
(I would have taken pictures of it on my head, but I had to shave for work recently. Now, instead of looking like the Captain of a fine sailing vessel, I'd just look like a chimney sweep. Give me a few weeks.)

For some strange reason, mine looks exactly like yours. Mine's a bit fuzzy now and a bit ashy
from the bonfire:

CIMG0009_zpsa0cf5c79.jpg

I curled the sides of the brim myself because I'm a cocky waif, like that.:

CIMG0014_zpsd1b68be3.jpg

Yours appears to have a different name inside than mine. Imagine that.:

CIMG0011_zps176f4743.jpg

And, speaking of a bit fuzzy, here's my ol' fat cat, for no reason at all.:

CIMG0007_zpscf3bab2a.jpg

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I'll see if I can dredge up a photo or two.

And the Top hat also, please.

I have heavy inclinations to appear Slash rocker'ish before all my hair falls out completely.

(I don't want to be a bowler-guy the whole rest of my life! My ol' leather jacket (with the too short sleeves) requires a suitable accoutrement. (And a cigarette! I have one here somewhere.))

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Check Buckaroo hatter's facebook page. There is a guy with a full beaver top hat with a leather hat band with silver skulls. Slash is JEALOUS.

Later

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's a nice bowler, Pinhead, and you're right-- almost exactly the same. The stamp in my liner says "Cyrus Douglas Beaver Hats, St. Louis, MO," or something of the like.

I too would love to see the John Bulls, etc.

1961MJS, I love that Buckaroo topper! If only I could wear something like that out of the house. Then again I did see a dude out in the Black Hills just before Sturgis time wearing a tall brown top hat (probably wool) with a double buckle studded leather band he told me he got in Prescott, AZ. He was built like Ichabod Crane, only with a white beard down to his belly button (Lefty's future self?) and jeans n' cowboy boots. One day I want to sketch a picture of him, how he was sitting in the passenger side of his lady's car, smoking a cigarette with the door half open and one leg up on the window...

mrwilmoth

Familiar Face
Nice hat!

(I would have taken pictures of it on my head, but I had to shave for work recently. Now, instead of looking like the Captain of a fine sailing vessel, I'd just look like a chimney sweep. Give me a few weeks.)

For some strange reason, mine looks exactly like yours. Mine's a bit fuzzy now and a bit ashy
from the bonfire:

CIMG0009_zpsa0cf5c79.jpg

I curled the sides of the brim myself because I'm a cocky waif, like that.:

CIMG0014_zpsd1b68be3.jpg

Yours appears to have a different name inside than mine. Imagine that.:

CIMG0011_zps176f4743.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe