Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHP AL's, Cal's, Langlitz, Vanson Photo repository thread

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Kicking off a new thread here for several reasons, in particular noted no specific place to input a vintage "Al's" Leather jacket, do a review and provide photo documentation. Also I have observed considerable interest in the California Highway Patrol style jacket over the past few years, so wanted to provide a place for folks to head to collect & share information about these great jackets. I have several jackets to add down the road and even a comparison or two between brands, sizes and styles of these jackets. I hope others will add in as well!

I have personally become quite devoted to this style of jacket, these just seem to fit and move with the wearer quite well. I have a theory on why, which I'll explain later in this review, but I do not (ever) claim to be an expert on form, fit & function of a jacket. I just know I really appreciate it when I do find a jacket that "disappears" on me, you could do most any project in these jackets, within reason and if it's a cool temperature outside. Also, these jackets are a little more subtle and less eye-catching than the Perfecto style, especially in straight zip form with brass hardware. Which brings me to the jacket I'll review below.

Al's Leather Straight Zip CHP "50"

I ran across this jacket on ebay very recently, thanks to @KBlake for listing it in the finds & Deals thread. At first, seeing the tag size of "50" I immediately thought "too big" and just tried to ignore it. However the more I got looking at the jacket in the ad, and observing how nice of condition it was in I finally took the risk and bought it. Very happy that I did.

Al_02.JPG

These jackets have a very effective side lacing method, so while the loop & lace area is quite short (and not highly visible either) it really reigns in the side and overall circumference of the jacket, at the waist yes but also up the sides toward the armpit area as well. I believe this along with the way the waistband is setup with built in gaps, and just a large area of exterior leather that molds to the wearer (see marked photo below) is a large part of what makes this design rather comfortable to wear while also affording very solid protection to a motorcycle rider in the even of a fall. I would be interested to know how & when this style came into existence, I do know that Langlitz has built jacket this way since the late 1940's.

These gaps -
1726451813250.png

So onto this specific jacket. It's ~ 7.5 lbs of quite heavy and still somewhat stiff leather. There are a couple small tears in the lining, there is also a small heat mark outside where the police badge holder appears to have been removed. Also the belt loops the jacket was originally made with are all removed. Not an issue there. The Al's Leather tag, all pocket bags, and the rest of the lining are in great shape. There are snaps in place for fur collar, but it's not with the jacket. I may consider a nice brown fur collar at some point, as I really do love this jacket. The YKK-brand zippers all look original and work as intended. The inside pocket lining appears to be denim, a simple, cost effective way to have a durable inside pocket. This jacket has no odors, it is clean and appears to have been very well cared for overall.

Al_14.JPG Al_19.JPG Al_06.JPG

As the photo above shows, the leather on this jacket, which is likely steerhide, is something to behold. It is quite thick, but not spongy and still has some breaking in left to do. There is serious graining going on with this jacket, however it is not printed grain.

Al_07.JPG Al_08.JPG Al_09.JPG

I have conditioned the jacket since it arrived. Some of the "whitish" color you may see in the leather is from the Horseman's One Step, which is quite similar to Urad Tenderly. It is a highly hydrating conditioner. I then used simple Lexol 4-way care after this to restore some of the darker black leather appearance. I'll likely put a light application of White's Boot conditioner on this in a month of so, hopefully after I have been able to give it some wearing.

Overall - very happy with this Al's - thank you for reading, and even more to sharing your own CHP stories & photos :)

DSC_0342.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton