Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chatham by Stetson

Acidshort

New in Town
Hi guys... I am thinking of purchasing this hat. Anyone heard anything about it? I am looking for a low profile hat with that prohibition era feel... in grey. Just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experience with it. Thanks.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Top Shelf Stetson Sovereign Quality Fur Felt. The Chatham in my opinion is one of Stetson's best "C" crown fedora, aka Teardrop. It has a 2-3/8 inch brim, grosgrain band, Stetson pin and feather available in a variety of colors. I have a Downs of the same quality felt, and it's my everyday felt. I love it, it's soft and thin.

analogist

One of the Regulars
STETSON CHATHAM

I got one of them two weeks ago from Bencraft, a Lounge vendor in Brooklyn in Graphite. The sweat band indicates it is in the Sovereign collection.

I wore it out of the store and got caught in the rain while walking to my car which was parked three blocks away,and after drying and a good brushing it was none the worse for wear.

It is quite comfortable and light enough to wear now and compared to many of the other current Stetsons I have seen this one is darn good. I also recently ordered an Akubra Sydney and I think the Stetson Chatham is comparable or better.

Bencraft has two locations, mine is from the Williamsburg shop where I know they stock them. Give them a call at 718 384-5517 and see what they can do for you.

Although a newbie on the Lounge, I have been a hat enthusiast for more years than I care to admit, and have found that Steven (besdor) and his dad Stanley aim to satisfy their customers more than any other shop I have been to. Their selection is staggering.

One of the best things about the Lounge is our teriffic group of vendors, all of whom I have purchased hats from and all have treated me well.

Get the Chatham, you'll like it.

analogist

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have two Chathams, bought new last year. I don't wear 'em much since I picked up some nice vintage lids. My only real gripe is that the sweatbands aren't as nice feeling on the forehead as the ones on my vintage hats. They don't seem to be as absorbent.

Here I am in mine. If the hat looks small, it's probably because I'm pretty big.

StetsonChatham01.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Chatham is a nice hat and one of our best catalog sellers . The teardrop crown and slightly wider brim that we have made custom ordered from Stetson is a nice look for someone who is taller or who has a larger build . We also have a style called the Ashland which has a similar crown but with a 2 1/4" brim and welted edge . A classic 1950's look .
All of our customers should be as good as Analogist ! He looks good in everything he tries on .:rolleyes:

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Acidshort

New in Town
Why is the chatham from fedora store, and the one from bencraft different in terms of the brim? I did see that steven said it was custom ordered... haha, could that be the reason why? I was under the impression that if it is named a certain style it just all comes like that. I am 5 10, and of average build, 155 lbs... so i am not sure how a larger brim would fit me. I guess thats the problem with making all these purchases online. Can't fit in person. I did try on a stetson temple and really liked the look... not sure what the brim was on it though.
Aaron

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Acidshort said:
Why is the chatham from fedora store, and the one from bencraft different in terms of the brim? I did see that steven said it was custom ordered... haha, could that be the reason why? I was under the impression that if it is named a certain style it just all comes like that. I am 5 10, and of average build, 155 lbs... so i am not sure how a larger brim would fit me. I guess thats the problem with making all these purchases online. Can't fit in person. I did try on a stetson temple and really liked the look... not sure what the brim was on it though.
Aaron

The factory Chatham for '06 has a 2-3/8 briim. Certainly not too big for most folks. Works for me, and I am 5'10" as well. If you like them shorter, I would suggest the Saxon at 2" or the Selby at 1-7/8.

Acidshort

New in Town
I was also looking at the Anello which is featured on bencraft. It looks like a nice hat... smaller brim and kinda what i am going for even though it doesn't have the tear drop. Anyone have any experience with this particular hat?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Anello is a nice 2 1/4" brim hat in Borsalino . We sell them mostly to older people looking for a smaller shape . The Como that you bought is a much better seller and a nicer looking hat in my opinion . We buy the Chatham in a bigger brim for people that want a slighly larger look but the brim can be cut down to whatever size a person wants . It takes two seconds to do it with a brim cutter .:eek:

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just ordered a Stetson Chatham from Noggintops (thanks for the coupon code Cardello). I'll let you know my take on the hat when it arrives but I like what I've read/seen.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Huh, I just posted about the Chatham in the "modern Stetson" thread, so at the risk of redundancy....

It was my experience that the center dent kept popping up when I wore this hat. Just something to watch for when trying it on, I guess. Fortunately for me, the store I bought it from allowed me to return it.

Good luck with yours!

carldelo

One Too Many
Spellflower, it appears that I'm following you around the threads - try not to get paranoid!...:p

Anyway, I really like my Chatham and have had good luck with it so far. I'm surprised the crown on yours could pop up - mine was quite stiff when I received it, but is slowly but surely softening up. The felt is a little beefy (i.e. thick) but the brim is soft and pliable and stays where I put it.

I think it's a completely classic look for a teardrop fedora, and definitely the best one with a low-medium crown height. Mine is sage which is a nice color - I have toyed with the idea of gray, but am saving that color for my first custom lid, probably in the fall.

FYI, I have the Ashland which is the same crown shape with a slightly smaller 2-1/4" underwelt brim. I like the built-up edge, but the felt isn't as nice as the Chatham.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad this came up. Here's my take:

The Chatham was the first actual snap brim I ever put on my head and snapped. I then got into collecting vintage hats so the Chat' isn't as soulful...but I always thought it was a quality hat. I read a lot on the Lounge about dim opinions of modern Stetsons and couldn't really understand what folks were knockin', based on this hat (and a Stetson Temple) as my reference. My Chatham is in Caribou (grey) and it is a medium to dark, warm grey which works well with many ensembles.

I also got a Stetson Temple in black and it is even softer with a smoother finish, a better 'hand' as they say.

Compared to some vintage Borsalinos and a Champ I have, I wouldn't go so far as to say the Chat' is lightweight felt. It isn't that fine or finished. But it is a well proportioned hat with a lot of versatility in terms of wearing it casual or dressy. I like the raw brim edge and it's also good to learn that another Lounger had a good experience with one in and after a rain.

After some time I became a little disenchanted with the factory block and was pleasantly surprised at how easily it took to a little steam when I made the crown into a diamond bash shape and put a tighter pinch in the front.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Stetson models for 2008 look great!

Wow besdor, do you think someone at HCA might be paying attention to what's being said here?
I really like alot of what you are showing (e.g.- The Stadium, Sutley, Lowden & Vintage) as new for '08. Very encouraging.
(I was looking at the Mineola, but I am waiting for the Ronkonkoma or the Syosset. ;) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld