Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this tight crease be removed?

Russ

One of the Regulars
I finally received my first custom made fedora just over 13 weeks after I placed the order with one of the hatters out there.

I had asked for an open crown so I could put my own bash in it. I prefer to add a soft front pinch, about one or fingers wide, but discovered the hat already had an incredibly tight crease in front that was off center to the right (when you are facing it) by about 3/4 of an inch. I would never pinch a felt hat so tight for fear it would crack there some day.

crease.JPG

Apparently this was made according somebody else's specs, somebody who wanted the "Raiders" off center turn. I have no desire to model my own hat after that movie. That tight crease interferes with my own bashing attempts, and really stands out as a vertical off center line.

pinch_and_mottle.JPG

So, can this crease be removed without a trace? How do I do it? Am I worrying too much about the damage done to the felt, and the increased possibility of a crack there someday? The felt is pure beaver BTW.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Man, that crease should come out with thirty seconds steaming: just hold it over an open kettle and flatten it with your fingers.

I can't imagine it will affect the felt in years to come (but experts might disagree?)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If necessary, you might put it over the end of an ironing sleeve board and try pressing it out with heavy steam and a press cloth.

But the best course may be to return it as used or unacceptable.

Russ

One of the Regulars
mottle?

Someone had e-mailed me and pointed out the mottled appearance of the felt in the photo. Here's another photo of it:

mottle.JPG

The surface of the felt is mottled with dark and light spots, and reminds me of a photo of the lunar surface. I've never seen this on my Akubras or Stetsons. Is this normal for a dress fedora? Am I too picky?

I have e-mailed the hatter (the one who made this hat) about my concerns yesterday but haven't received a reply yet. My anxiety to learn whether or not these problems can be fixed without returning the hat is what drove me to seek some answers here on the board. After he does reply, I think I will probably just return the hat anyway rather than try to fix it, epecially since the crown is a quarter inch shorter than what I had requested, and no amount of fiddling on my part will fix that problem.

I won't say who the hatter is because I don't believe this is the normal level of quality for his hats, and this one probably just slipped through the cracks. Too bad it had to go all the way to Tokyo where shipping costs more.

Marc

Vendor
I won't say who the hatter is because I don't believe this is the normal level of quality for his hats, and this one probably just slipped through the cracks. Too bad it had to go all the way to Tokyo where shipping costs more.

lol Sorry, but that is as if you'd buy one of these modern Borsalinos with the Borsalino script on the bow knot, and then claiming, you won't say who the maker is. Ok, to be honest, there are TWO hatters, who could have made this hat, but it would still be the same company ;) lol

I'm sure he'll fix it for you, if you send it back. Just do the hatter the favor not to try and fix it yourself...

Regards,

Marc

Russ

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice Marc, I have heard from the hatter and he says to return it, and he'll actually make me a new hat to my exact specs! He was very gracious about this. But I'm still not going to tell you who he is. :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One thing about the steaming... I find it easier for the home styling to use an iron from a small distance. Just push the button to let the steam out of the machine and smooth the hat out from the inside. Do not touch the metal of the iron to the felt... just shoot the steam onto the felt.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is one more sent to me by the hatter. Although I'm sending the hat back, I'm including this for the sake of those who are searching for answers to the question.

On the tight crease, you can steam just that area and smooth it out with your clean fingers, and then recrease. The old crease line will go away in a short while, normally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe