Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I reblock a Panama hat?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I have my own hat block that I use for my Akubra. If I got a panama hat, could I reblock that hat as well?

I'm not educated very well in the workings of panama and I've never owned one, so thought I'd ask.

GWD

One Too Many
I wouldn't recommend it, Panama's are a completely different animal than felts. I would send it to Optimo.

GWD

One Too Many
Yeah! I would like to know too! I played around with my Supernatural but it's like working with a wet noodle.

RBH

Bartender
I usally put a c-crown in them. I just wet the crown enough to be able to work the straw. Then wear it till dry [ I almost always start this in the morning.... sometimes it takes awhile to dry. :D ]
It always helps if the hat has a tall enough crown, that way you have something to work with on your crease style.
Most recent made panamas do not really have enough crown to do much with.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I know it is possible to reblock a panama if the straw is still in good condition, but I would leave that to a professional. If it's really dry and brittle, best to leave it be in any case. Also, I hear it's harder to get the old creases out of straw, so restoration type reblocks are probably best on the older ones.

As for the brim, I have had some success with wetting and holding the brim the way I want it. Good thing to do while watching tv.:D

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
On one of my Panamas ordered through the US, I had it sent for professional blocking before being posted here...It has a centre dent only, buy I`ve noted two round marks where obviously the side pinches were before it was re-blocked (I was under the impression it was never blocked however!). So I would say - if you want the shape changed and dont mind about any remnants from the previous design, then Yes, they can be reblocked. But considering the elements and process used to shape the hat in a new block - there is no doubt that the straw has been stressed quite a bit, and certain elements of the old block (be it only lines in the straw, or patterns where the straw was stretched) will always remain. My take is you can change the shape, but it will be noticable. Brims are a tough one - so sensitive to humidity and dryness - it seems a never ending task unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe