Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I consider myself a Whippet owner?

Jerekson

One Too Many
This is bugging me.

I've got this wonderful vintage Stetson on my hands (most of you already know this) and I'm positively sick wondering whether or not it is a "Whippet".

I can't find the word "Whippet" anywhere in the hat, but as I understand not all Whippets had the word stamped onto them.

It's been established that this hat is from the late 40's to early 50's.

What do you think? Whippet...or Whippet-less?
Fed_3.png

Fed_5.png

Fed_1.png

Fed_6.png

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
It's a beautiful hat and certainly Whippet-esque. The liner logo is one that was in use in the 60's, and may go back to the late 50's, so I would guess that the hat dates from that time period.

Cheers,
JtL

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It certainly has all the hallmarks of a Whippet. But like the Stetson Royal Deluxe I just got there is no logo inside. That isn't to say you don't have a Whippet there, just like mine could be an Open Road or a Stratoliner. It may have been one of their other models that didn't carry the Whippet name but was made on the same machinery. Any way you slice it, you have one beautiful hat there. Wear it with pride and call it what you wish.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

aliados

One of the Regulars
Given that it looks just like most Whippets I've seen (but for the lack of name imprint), does it really matter? I've got two Stetson Stratoliner clones that don't carry the name -- but they're identical to the ones that do; it doesn't bother me. Hell, the green Trimble I picked up on eBay recently is almost identical to my green Whippet (and frankly, I think it's better!).
And remember that there is no "quintessential" Whippet -- of the few I've owned, I've got three different crown heights, three different brim widths, and three different types of felt. And on some, the band matches the edging ribbon, on others it contrasts. Go know what's a "real" whippet!
I don't get hung up on labels. I WEAR my hats, I don't display them as museum pieces. While the ones I offer on eBay are "all original" (unless otherwise stated), I'm not concerned about what's printed on the sweatbands. Hell, I've got a Stratoliner with a "Stetson Premier Genuine Panama) sweatband -- I changed it out myself 'cause the original hat rotted. Does htat make the hat something other than a Strat? (Yes if I was selling, no if I am awearing).
Wear it proudly! Regarldess of it's name, it's a beautiful hat! Besides, NO ONE should ever see the INSIDE of your hat, anyway!
Just my opinion . . .

MattC

A-List Customer
The liner is newer

Is almost certainly newer than the hat. That Stetson logo, without even "Royal" or "3x" on it is almost certainly a 60s liner. My guess is that the owner had it reconditioned by Stetson in the 60s--a lot of companies did this--and they put in the current liner. Both of my Whippets have the name on the liner, not the sweat. So may be your original liner did identify the hat as a Whippet. And as others have said, its a great looking hat. So call it a Whippet.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Okay, I'm Whippet-less.

It doesn't really matter; it was just a little thing that was bugging me. I wear the hat almost every day - it's one of my favorites, regardless of the model.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
MattC said:
Is almost certainly newer than the hat. That Stetson logo, without even "Royal" or "3x" on it is almost certainly a 60s liner. My guess is that the owner had it reconditioned by Stetson in the 60s--a lot of companies did this--and they put in the current liner. Both of my Whippets have the name on the liner, not the sweat. So may be your original liner did identify the hat as a Whippet. And as others have said, its a great looking hat. So call it a Whippet.

I'll add my vote for this line of reasoning. Both my Whippets are labeled as such ONLY in the liner, and it's an older style liner than the one in that hat.

If it's not a Whippet, it shoulda been.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It could also one of the styles that Stetson called "The Three-Way". It looks exactly like that style, and on the inside of the lid of the semi-triangular hat box was the writer/actor Robert Benchley displaying the three different ways the hat could be styled & worn.

aa82_1.JPG

Anyway, this is the hat style that it may be, and like Matt said the liner could have been replaced along with the sweatband. No pun intended, but you may have a "Three-Way" on your hands.:)

Cheers!

Dan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^What's the difference between #2 and #3 other than the expression on his face? I can imagine a lot more variation than that for it.

Edit: Okay, I see. #2 is brim down, #3 is brim up. Bunch of radicals with their wild eye variations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally