Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Campus' jacket

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All,

I've seen this style of jacket referred to as 'Campus' jackets:

40scampusjkt1_zps828226d6.jpg

40scampusjacket_zps4191999d.jpg

They appear to be something akin to a button-up version of the famed 'Gaucho' pullover shirts. When were they popular - 1940s? They look pretty cool I think. Any info on them would be welcome, as they intrigue me!

Benny Holiday

In the same sense that 'gaucho' shirts are named after one of the major brands who made pullover shirts yeah, I reckon that could be case Damian.

Benny Holiday

I've seen a couple of good-looking repros on the Repro Vintage Clothing website. Very sporty and cool. What colours do you have Flat-top? The style would really suit you!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The brand Campus had a number of lines such as Campus Casuals, Campus Sports Wear, and others. They tended toward youthful, somewhat eccentric designs and were targeted at a younger demographic (those button-up shirt-jacs being a prime example). The underlying theme behind all the lines was casual wear. Another comparable brand was Timely Clothes, which made tailored men's wear with a very fashion forward aesthetic. For example, Timely, which was around from the 30s through the 60s, made belted back suits in the 30s and a lot of flecked suits and in the 50s (I own a mint green gabardine suit made by Timely Clothes).

I have seen Campus branded items from the mid-40s (post-war) through the 60s. Those button-up shirt-jacs were mostly made in the first half of the 1950s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bvanv