Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Model 1945 Metropolitan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hello Folks,

Well, after much touting the merrits of the Camptown Fieldmaster I have put in an order for the Metropolitan. This is Ken's grey offering in his lineup of lids. In the near future he will be offering a black or "Noir" model of the Metropolitan. This one will look rather sharp I must say.
http://www.camptownhats.com/products.asp
1945_1.jpg

I went, instead of the Remington crown, with the center dent. It looked great on the Fieldmaster and most of my lids have either the c crown or a Remingtom crown so I figured this to be the best option.
I'll post pictures once I get it, and I can't wait!:)
If any of you on this forum have a Metropolitan please feel free to post your pictures here, I'd love to see what you did with yours.

Cheers!

Dan

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I really love the look of the Metropolitan... it's only a matter of time before I think I'm just going to place an order for that and the 1936...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
RBH: Yeah, they usually come with the 3" brim but I'm going to opt for the dimensional cut, it befits the crown properly. As far as how soon, I'm not sure.

Gaige: No time like the present.;) They're a great hat at a great price. Give Ken a call, e-mail or PM him here (JerseyJones). He's a real pleasure to talk with.

Cheers!

Dan

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Not to sound completely ignorant (which I am, but...), however, what's the difference between a dimensional versus non-dimensional brim?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gaige said:
Not to sound completely ignorant (which I am, but...), however, what's the difference between a dimensional versus non-dimensional brim?

On a non-dimensional brim, the width of the brim is uniform the entire way around the hat. As a general matter, a dimensional brim is slightly longer at the front and the back. So, for example, a fedora with a dimensional brim might be 3" in width at the front and back, but only 2 3/4" on the sides.

Cheers,
JtL

warbird

One Too Many
I thought it was slightly over 2 1/2 by slightly more than 2 3/4. Not that it matters much to all but the most numbers conscious. ;) We have a few numbers conscious 'round here though. :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
When I do my brims with a dimensional cut I go for 2 7/8" front to back and 2 5/8" side to side. It all boils down to personal preference really. For me it ties together my face and the crown of the hat proportionately. That way it looks like it fits and is a part of me. The little bit of extra length from front to back provides a modicum of shade on the nose & neck for me.
I can't wait for mine to show up on my doorstep. :)

Cheers!

Dan

D

dzacca

My Metropolitan arrived a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I'm not at home right now so I still haven't seen it. My brother sent me a message to inform me that the hat arrived and, unbelievably, no customs fees had been applied. :)

D

dzacca

RBH said:
Hey dzacca, did you get it open crowned? Or is it already bashed?
The Camptowns look like great fedoras, cant wait for the photos!

I asked Ken to bash it for me. I asked exactly for the c-crown shape you see in the picture at the beginning of this post.

D

dzacca

Absolutely wonderful!

Today the weather here in Italy is not so good and the temperature allows me to wear this terrific hat.
Even if I still haven't had the time to steam the brim in the exact shape I want, the hat fits quite well. The felt (a blend of beaver and rabbit fur) if absolutely wonderful.
It's a bit too stiff for my taste, but I know that's just matter of time, a few weeks wearing it and a pair of showers and that would be just perfect.

During the weekend I'll finish the modification on the shape and I'll post a few photos for you guys.

In the meantime I need to thanks DanielJones for his suggestion on this hat, and Ken, from Camptown hats, he's a very kindly person to deal with. Again, thank you to you both.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations and you are welcome! I hope you enjoy it for a lifetime.
So, dzacca, do we have any pics to show us? We'd love to see your new lid. They do start off a bit stiff but the more you handle it the softer it gets and still holds it shape well. Good to hear you didn't have to deal with any additional customs fees.
When you get the chance lets see your new prize.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust