Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Panama Hat in Ecuador

Paully Paul

New in Town
Hi Guys,

I'm headed off to Ecuador in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone had any experience buying Panama hats in the country.

I was thinking about visiting the town of Montecristi for an authentic Montecristi Panama at but read in the guidebooks that Cuenca is the main centre of hat making.

I contacted Brent Black and he maintains only hats made in Montecristi can be called Montecristi hats despite what producers in Cuenca might tell you.

So if anyone knows of any shops in Montecristi where you can get decent hats please let me know.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys,

I'm headed off to Ecuador in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone had any experience buying Panama hats in the country.

I was thinking about visiting the town of Montecristi for an authentic Montecristi Panama at but read in the guidebooks that Cuenca is the main centre of hat making.

I contacted Brent Black and he maintains only hats made in Montecristi can be called Montecristi hats despite what producers in Cuenca might tell you.

So if anyone knows of any shops in Montecristi where you can get decent hats please let me know.

I bought a very nice Panama hat in Ecuador in 1986, but it was in Quito on the then shopping district street Amazonas Avenue. If you went to Montecristi I'm sure you can get a great deal and have a memorable trip to boot. My only caution is that little-plane flights out of the Quito airport into the clouds, surrounded by mountains, can be disconcerting, although it's probably safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe