Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronx River Beaver

Barry

Practically Family
1st Beaver Spotted in New York City in 200 Years
Friday, February 23, 2007
Associated Press

Beavers grace New York City's official seal. But the industrious rodents have not been seen in the flesh here for as many as 200 years — until this week.

Biologists videotaped a beaver swimming up the Bronx River on Wednesday. Its twig-and-mud lodge had been spotted earlier on the river bank, but the tape confirmed the presence of the animal itself.

"It had to happen because beaver populations are expanding, and their habitats are shrinking," said Dietland Muller-Schwarze, a beaver expert at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse. "We're probably going to see more of them in the future."

Beavers gnawed out a prominent place in the city's early days as a European settlement, attracting fur traders to a nascent Manhattan. The animal appears in the city seal to symbolize a Dutch trading company that factored in the city's colonial beginnings, according to the city's Web site.

But amid heavy trapping, beavers disappeared from the city in the early 1800s, according to the city Parks & Recreation Department.

The beaver that has made its way to the Bronx appears to be a male, several feet long and two or three years old, said Patrick Thomas, the mammals curator at the nearby Bronx Zoo.

Biologists have nicknamed the animal "Jose," as a tribute to U.S. Rep. Jose Serrano's work to revive the river. The Bronx Democrat lined up federal money for a cleanup.

"But I don't know to what extent I imagined things living in it again," he said.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Sterling Beaver

beaver.jpg

I bet he is a Sterling Beaver....:) :eusa_clap :)

Feraud

Bartender
That is really good news.
Let us all pray we New Yorkers do not treat it like we did the coyote spotted in Central Park last year.
On a related note I have seen hawks and a raccoon in my neighborhood of Queens. If you know Queens you can imagine my surprise. We have plenty of wildlife but not that type.

vonwotan

Practically Family
There seem to be quite a few of our hawks down around Wall Street. My stepfather used to have one nesting outside his office window. Occasionally he had to close the blinds so particularly sensitive clients did not see the hawk eating lunch...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Let us all pray we New Yorkers do not treat it like we did the coyote spotted in Central Park last year.
On a related note I have seen hawks and a raccoon in my neighborhood of Queens. If you know Queens you can imagine my surprise. We have plenty of wildlife but not that type.

Yeah, that coyote was big news.
I saw a raccoon strolling down a path in the park last year. Creeped me out...whatever happened to simple sewer rats....

Incidentally, the motiff of the AstorPlace subway station.
496px-Astor_Pl_station_2.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I've seen families of raccoons of Central Park.
Once on 9th between 1st and 2nd I saw a crowd gathered around something. As I walked past I peered in. It was a red-tailed hawk sitting atop a garbage can lid eating the intestines out of the eviscerated rat in it's talons. Very cute.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:
I've seen families of raccoons of Central Park.
Once on 9th between 1st and 2nd I saw a crowd gathered around something. As I walked past I peered in. It was a red-tailed hawk sitting atop a garbage can lid eating the intestines out of the eviscerated rat in it's talons. Very cute.

Ah, thats what happened to the Rats.

Actually a couple weeks ago Kelly was telling Regis about seeing the Central Park hawks swooping down to make their kills. Said it was distressing to her & the kids.

more footage of the beaver
gofer3.gif

Feraud

Bartender
Did she really say it was distressing? You would think "cityfolk" would appreciate a bit of nature.
I saw a red tailed hawk swoop down from the top of I.S. 126 in Long Island City, spook a flock of pigeons and grab one in mid flight. It landed on top of a streetlamp and started eating it.
An amazing sight.

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
I think the blood & guts before breakfast got to her & the kids
I have absolutely no doubt that Kelly is lying in an effort to have something to talk about on that ridiculous show she co-hosts.
I have seen Lola & Pale Male do their thing in the park. The hawks do not bring their kills to the public for viewing!
Kelly is a fool.

Harry Angel

New in Town
Feraud said:

I'm in Queens as well,we have alot of racoons and hawks in my area,also possums a few owls and parrots lots of squaking annoying parrots
parrots003.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John Jacob Astor

he of AstorPlace, Astoria, Astor Library & so on made his fortune in furs. He was his own Hudson's Bay Co. He then parlayed that into an even greater fortune & (like so many great American Dynasties) became a Drug smuggler, buying ten tons of Turkish opium & shipping the contraband to Canton on the Packet Ship Macedonian. He remained in the China Trade long enough to make a second fortune. He later sunk his substantial assets into NYC real estate, predicting the rise of the city to world prominence & made a third fortune, dying America's richest man... all from the humble beaver, eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley