Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino in Sweden

Flieger

Practically Family
Hello everybody!

Had a little luck again at one of the Swedish auction sites and won this size 60 Borsalino. My first!
Borsalino01s.jpg

As far as I know, this hat was made in the early 80's and it hasn't been worn much by the previous owner. All I had to do was add a bit of steam to it to make it regain a bit of crispyness.
Borsalino03.jpg

The lining is red! Is that common? I have never seen it here on Fedora Lounge before.
Borsalino04.jpg

One more pic.
Borsalino05.jpg

I was surprised of how much softer this Borsalino was compared to the Barbisio I had before but I like it.

Thanks for looking. Hope the photos are not too big?
/Flieger

Stoney

Practically Family
Great looking lid. I wish I could find one in that color combination and my size.

I'm not really a Borsalino expert, I only have two, but I've read that the "Antica Casa" "Old House" refers to the hat being made in the original factory. Based on that alone I would say the hat was made in the early 1970s at the latest and could be much older. The one thing that throws me off a bit is that it seems to have a paper size tag, which would indicate it is new than 1970s. You might want to check with besdor who seems to know these very well.

Great find and enjoy. It looks really good on you.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks for all the kind words! :)

Sometimes the answer lies hidden. I read here on Fedora Lounge that Borsalinos had a label under the sweatband but I could not find one under mine... the first time I looked. Looking again I saw something sticking out from under the lining and there it was:
Borsalino07.jpg

Ok, I guess the number "76", top right indicate the year the hat was made making it 1976. "60" is the size in centimeters. But what about the rest? Does anyone know what "SFINGE" stands for? :confused:

Cheers
/Flieger

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- that's a relatively new tag.
Older borsalinos used a different style
I'd say 76 doesn't sound too out there.

It's definately a great looking hat.

Stoney

Practically Family
Where's besdor when ya need him?

I don't think it's 76 guys. The Antica Casa pretty much eliminates that.
I'd say, only from what I've read here that the first pair of numbers after that dash 75-65771. The 65 should mean it was made in 1965.

Flieger

Practically Family
According to Google "SFINGE" mean "Sfinx". Does that make any sense? A model name?

Ooh... so this lid might be from 1965? Hey, that's older then me! :eek:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If I understand the way besdor dated mine (another one with the newer style tag) correctly, the two numbers before the dash are the date.

With the old ones, the numbers seem meaningless.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
If I remember correctly it was discovered that the "code" was inaccurate as far as dating goes. Don't quote me on it though.

Regardless of the age I must say that the color of that hat is awesome and you wear it well. Congrats!! :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
OK, so it's not a finger and the tag dating is not reliable. Either way you don't have to ask the Sphinx to know it's an awesome piece of work. Take a look at all of what the current offerings out there are and you'll see no basis for comparison.

Stoney said:
I'm not really a Borsalino expert, I only have two, but I've read that the "Antica Casa" "Old House" refers to the hat being made in the original factory. Based on that alone I would say the hat was made in the early 1970s at the latest and could be much older.

I believe you have been misinformed. I happen to own several newer Borsalinos (purchased new over the past 10 years or so) and every last one of them has "Antica Casa" embossed on the sweatband.

Stoney

Practically Family
tonyb

That's good to know. The question is why would it say Antica Casa which means Old House if they were made in the new factory? besdor has pointed out that "Old House" rather than Antica Casa indicated that the hats were made in the original factory for export to the US.While Antica Casa meant that the were made in the original factory but not for export to the US. However, If they are now putting Antica Casa on everything then Antica Casa becomes meaningless. I'm sure that you are correct since his hat has a paper tag in it rather than a cloth size tag. That was why I pointed out that he may want to consult besdor as to the age.

Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe