Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino... How Old?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi all

Just picked this up... a score, I hope for 30 clams...however,it has yet to arrive, so we'll see. I was hoping someone might venture a guess as to the vintage (or lack of) based on the liner..
08_1.JPG

and here is an overall
c0_1.JPG

Thanks gents!

Rick

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Great looking lid.:eusa_clap Check for the tag attached to the felt of the inside of the hat, there should be some ID numbers there. Visigoth may be able to help you with the age identification from there.

Cheers!

Dan

Visigoth

A-List Customer
The sizing: is it old style (4 1/2, 5, 5 1/2) or new (7, 7 1/8, 7 1/4 etc.)? The leather band says 5 1/2, which seems to indicate old. It has a sewn-in liner: another sign that it's older. Outwardly it looks quite similar, except for the Open-Road-style ribbon, to a 1930 Borsalino I have. The liner is different. It seems to say "Qualita Superiore" on the liner, which is nice: these are inevitably good hats (a notch above the regular Borsalino); my 1930 hat is also a Superiore, with a bound brim.

Definitely worth thirty bucks, if it's in good shape. Probably worth five or ten times that.

WEEGEE said:

Indeed they still are, as they have been since 1934, I think. They carry a wide selection of the sort of stuff that doesn't impress the typical Fedora Lounger, but, you know, who does these days, other than the custom hatters? Obviously, they carry what they can sell. You can buy a new Stetson or a Borsalino or a Biltmore there, as well as some stuff that maybe doesn't carry a brand name at all. And yes, I've seen wool felts and paper straws there, too. Can't really fault 'em for that; they gotta pay the bills somehow.
The place has a ton of Golden Era atmosphere, though, and it's authentic atmosphere. Thank goodness nobody ever got it in his head to "modernize" the joint.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
tonyb...thanks not been to that shop

tonyb,

Have two hats from Uzt both Borsalino 50's and 60's.

Thank you on the current observation of the shop never been but will visit

to soak up some hat whispers from the past.

regards and more,

WeeGee

Yeah, WEEGEE, if you ever get out this way, lemme know and we'll drop in on Byrnie Utz. It's worth the time, and I still send some business their way, although nowhere near as much as I used to, back when I thought $250 for a new Borsalino was a reasonable value. (But, in comparison to something more than half that much for a new Stetson, it doesn't seem so bad. Now if I expect to pay that much for a hat, I'll just add lunch money to it and get another new custom from Art.) Still, it's good to see they've kept it going all these years. Paul, the fellow who runs the place, is obviously a "hat guy." You can't help but sense he takes some pride and satisfaction in keeping that somewhat anachronistic store in business. Out here, where they tend to tear down structures before they're paid for, Byrnie Utz's very existence is a testament to perseverance and a bit of good luck. Really, there's so little left of the downtown Seattle retail core I knew back when we first moved out here, in 1968. Yet Byrnie Utz survives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally