Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Mac

Jacket Man

New in Town
I hope this doesn't offend too many Fedora Lounger Jacket Lovers, but as much as I love a great leather jacket (and there has been a ton of incredible leather jackets shown here), if a guy has a body that doesn't fit the profile of a nice leather jacket, he might be part of a lost cause. Part of a great looking jacket is a well proportioned body the goes underneath it. I'm trying carefully to say that if a person is 60 pounds overweight, or more, and isn't concerned with having a profile that expands on the great look of the jacket.....you may as well buy a raincoat. It's an extension of a beautiful jacket to have something healthy underneath it. I know it's fine to feel good in a newly purchased Aero jacket, but to have a body that distracts from it all may not be a good thing........so get in shape, fit yourself for a great jacket, and wear it proudly. Or you can tell me to go get myself a couple of Big Macs and stop worrying about my health or others. I think we all might look better in a $100 leather jacket with a slim, healthy body than a $1,200 leather jacket and be 100 pounds overweight.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Can't say I disagree with that. Spending upwards of 1000 bucks on a jacket also makes an extremely good incentive to stay trim so you can continue to wear said jacket.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Very early in the A2 shopping game, doing the research, asking the questions, I spoke with my dear friend BellyTank here, and he was quite blunt (which I treasure in him). He told me flat out that it wouldn't look right on me because I had a little middle aged spread. I remember squirming! About the same time, a close friend since childhood said something similar. "Time to get rid of that gut before it gets any bigger and becomes really unsightly."
I started watching my diet and ramping up my activity, and lost weight (I didn't have that far to go). I bought my A2, though I wish I had waited a little longer because I kept losing pounds and now it's a little big.

I'm not saying that a big guy shouldn't wear a leather jacket. And all of us of a certain age look "something's amiss" in them, because they were designed for the bodies of underweight 19 year old boys. If you want a beautiful leather jacket, and are a little big around the middle (no crime), buy the jacket! Wear it, enjoy it. It's all in the attitude anyway. But they do look better on thinner men, because they are made for a thinner physique.
Your carefully-presented-yet-bludgeoning thought is on the mark in most respects, Jacket Man. I do think that a fellow should wear whatever pleases him, and to hell with what others think.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Some like their clothes loose, some like 'em snug. That aside, clothes should fit no matter the style. If someone is very broad, or round, or thin, or tall, or short, or whatever, he or she will probably have to get a leather jacket custom made. But it seems to me that anyone can wear a leather jacket - just get something that fits.

Charlie

Familiar Face
You've point a interesting question !

I'm a "little and thin man"(38), I found a lot of vintage stuff that few people can wear !

There's the first time that my size is an adventage !

JLStorm

Practically Family
I like my jackets to fit loose and it also gives me room to grow and still looks good if I shrink a little bit as well. Im betting this post was started by an individual who has not gone through all, or most of the phases of life. At one time I was a competitive weight lifter and had to have clothes custom made for my size, I was in amazing shape. The fact is, that no matter how good you think you look, there comes a time when your body cannot keep up the ideal look without dedicating your life to that task. This can be due to hormones, joints, bone density, etc.

The fact is that there is a happy medium between looks and quality of life. There are days Id much rather go fishing, cook with my wife, or just watch movies than exercise. The older you get, the more you will realize that there is a great different between looks and health. Many people test out quite healthy at weights above what most consider perfect or normal. It all depends on the individual. Obviously if you have trouble getting up a flight of stairs or out of bed, you have an issue. But again, looks can be deceiving and that goes both ways, some very thin people are very unhealthy and some of those that seem overweight will outlast many that seemed to be in good health.

When Im retired and have some extra weight on me, I would like to think that I could say..screw it, Im going fishing. As long as my doctor hasnt told me I am unhealthy, then I will wear my jacket with pride...all of those injuries, bad joints, scars, and extra weight were earned through a full and incredibly exciting life. I dont need to justify my jacket or my looks to anyone...not now, not ever.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In reading this thread the phrase that comes to mind: "To thine ownself be true".

To me a jacket is an extension of what I perceive myself to be. Fact is if I think something I am wearing compliments my physique, then it does in my mind. Who is to say it doesn't or more appropriately who cares if it doesn't. [huh]

However, I do keep in mind the mirror does not lie. ;)

You have to know what sort of lines fit your build regardless of if you are in shape. Being in shape & being barrel chested, short waisted, etc. still means certain styles of clothing don't fit your build. I'm a 44" chest but a 35" waist & double breasted suit don't suit me (pun intended). Certain styles of leather jackets just don't work for my build regardless if I'm carring some spare tire or lean & mean. My brother is 6' 2" & a totally different build than I am & can wear stuff that gathers at the waist while I look better in those that don't.
BTW, if I spend $1500 on an article of clothing it will get worn & FTW!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jacket Man said:
I hope this doesn't offend too many Fedora Lounger Jacket Lovers, but as much as I love a great leather jacket (and there has been a ton of incredible leather jackets shown here), if a guy has a body that doesn't fit the profile of a nice leather jacket, he might be part of a lost cause. Part of a great looking jacket is a well proportioned body the goes underneath it.
I think people often mistake personal taste or cultural notions of
"well proportioned" with absolute principles. I know a number of
people who don't find men attractive until they are quite large
(and a leather jacket would be considered a plus). I know some
very unhealthy skinny people.

A good garment is one that has a good design for the wearer.
Beyond that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Not only the body shape...

But also the other clothing articles you wear with your jacket, is important in my opinion.

For example, I personally don't think A-2 jackets go very well with jeans...but that's just me.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Barring private sale, vintage purchases or absolutely insane blowout pricing, there perhaps aren't too many great leather jackets out there with enviable lines for $100. Joe Physique may just look like a fit guy in a cheap leather jacket. Humpty Joe however,[in his AERO for example] with some taste, will likely look like a guy who appreciates and exudes quality and style. With a sensible eye for cuts and lines a big man should generally wind up looking good. Bigger dollars can usually afford a fitting. Thar be the key. J.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Personally "I say screw what other people think" If Aero makes a size 50 and they do; then if you want it, go ahead and get it. Look at this way if any of us works hard enough to afford it, we deserve what we are looking to collect. It doesn't really matter.

Besides some of the crazy crap I own is not for the generic, so no matter what size one has attained I say buy it cause it only helps the economy.

018.jpg

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I'm skinny and I like being skinny. And I'm certainly a jerk. But I'm still not enough of a jerk to care if some big dude wants to wear a nice jacket. Honestly. There's enough pointless drama in the world without adding to it. Wear what you like, eat what you like, exercise (or don't) as much as you like. Life ain't a beauty pageant.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
It is true, no amount of money can buy a good physique!

A big dollar jacket will never compensate for a corpulent body. Steve Reeves in a $10 thrift store jacket looks a lot better than me in a $600 Aero.

As JLStorm pointed out, a good physique can only be obtained by hard work, discipline and dedication. Some of us have made a conscious decision, after reaching a certain point in our lives, that we'd rather not continue to spend long hours pumping iron given the rest of our busy lives.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not the svelte guy I was in college. ;) And I admit, it's completely because of my voluntary decision to cut back on my gym hours.

Not because of some made-up thyroid problem, not because society allegedly makes fattening food less expensive, and not because "the man" was holding me down. It was MY decision, and I take all consequences of my decision.

If I get to the point where Gunny Hartman would say that my @#$#@ looks like a hundred pounds of chewed bubble gum, well he's right. I've got nobody to blame but myself.

Point is, I don't think anybody here is claiming that a $1k jacket can make a "disgusting fatbody" like Private Pyle into Daniel Craig. I'm new here so I certainly cannot speak for the forum, only myself. Sure, I may not look like Dorian Yates but that shouldn't stop me from wearing a nice coat. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe