Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Cloth opinions...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was down in London at the weekend, and as per usual I ended up wandering around our favourite types of shops - Real McCoy's, Son of Stag, American Classics. I also stopped and had a good laugh at Nigel Cabourn's, where I overheard a story in there about Kanye West buying thousands of pounds of worth of stuff, returning it for some reason, then apologising by sending bouquet after bouquet of white flowers to poor old Nige.
But I digress. While I was in the RM shop, I tried on their latest addition, a replica of the Brown's beach cloth jacket, and was seriously impressed: the cloth is dense, almost felted, with a salt and pepper herring bone pattern. As seems the way with Japanese brands, the 38 fits like a 36, but it's a very cool, very different look.
Here's a rubbish pic I took of one in the shop window:

When I was in Son of Stag, I found a Brown's beach cloth jacket - who made the cloth originally. Equally well-made, though the cloth was less densely woven, having now handled both, I really fancy a jacket in this style. Problem? Both jackets retailed just shy of £600! That's just too rich for my blood. Any suggestions as to where they can be sourced at a 'reasonable' price? Or should I lobby Aero or SJC to come up with their own versions? I reckon it would be very popular addition to any range.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I humbly submit that the Brown's Beach cloth fad is just plain nuts. Yes, the fabric is nice, but there was other stuff around in the 30s that was just as utilitarian. Yes, ask Simon/SJC if he wants to give it a try. I can't think of any other brand doing it at a reasonable price, if such is at all possible given the price of the cloth.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I absolutely love mine. It's a Browns beach ala Okayama denim. It's super light, very toasty and very versatile. Picked it up off eBay for about half the price as new. When I'm not wearing leather. I'm wearing this.

I like that a lot ton, very timeless looking.
Thanks! It really is and the beauty of it is how deceivingly warm it is...Even with just a light knit under it, the foul chicago winter has a tough time rattling its cage.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's a great looking fabric - I've not yet seen a pattern I would buy in it. Or a price that makes sense.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw Tons pic in the what are you wearing today thread a few weeks ago and got the details off him. After a quick google search and finding 1. They are out of stock and 2. The price I've put it firmly out of my mind lol.

Gorgeous but no way am I spending that money on it.

Edward

Bartender
I looked at some jackets along the lineso f the one in Ton's photo in AC in Bethnal Green last year. Lovely, but scary money (somehow I'm attuned to spending that sort of money on leather, but when it comesto textiles, eeek). I'd love somethingl ike a big shawl collar cardy in it.

I saw Tons pic in the what are you wearing today thread a few weeks ago and got the details off him. After a quick google search and finding 1. They are out of stock and 2. The price I've put it firmly out of my mind lol.

Gorgeous but no way am I spending that money on it.
Agreed. I found mine on eBay and while relatively cheap, definitely at the ceiling of what I think it's worth.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's the retail price of repros and the prices that originals go for that are out of proportion, in my opinion. In relation to the prices for other great workwear fabrics typical of the 30s it just stands out as an oddity. That's what I meant by nuts. Other great 30s workwear fabrics outside the standard stuff (moleskin, corduroy, melton wool) include vaugan and the plaid wool used for mackinaws; also the blanket mackinaws which are extremely functional, although they are a special case due to their distinctive colors.

I looked at some jackets along the lineso f the one in Ton's photo in AC in Bethnal Green last year. Lovely, but scary money (somehow I'm attuned to spending that sort of money on leather, but when it comesto textiles, eeek). I'd love somethingl ike a big shawl collar cardy in it.
I tend to agree. But when I saw this that notion may have gone bye bye.
image.jpeg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I notice prices on the Rakuten website are well below UK prices, so I reckon that even after tax they'd come in at tolerable prices. I had been thinking of a beach cloth jacket as lighter summer office jacket (think Scottish summer here: showers, a stiff breeze and only really warm, sort of, between mid-July and August). Would one of these be too warm or should I perhaps look at Old House?

I notice prices on the Rakuten website are well below UK prices, so I reckon that even after tax they'd come in at tolerable prices. I had been thinking of a beach cloth jacket as lighter summer office jacket (think Scottish summer here: showers, a stiff breeze and only really warm, sort of, between mid-July and August). Would one of these be too warm or should I perhaps look at Old House?
I think anything above 45 degrees Fahrenheit and you'd be pouring down sweat. Despite being a relatively light fabric it's insanely warm. Wind has a hard time passing through it. Trust me, I know. I live in "the Windy City";)

wild_balls

Practically Family
I had one of the Joe McCoy/Real McCoy golden thread raschel beach cloth jacket a while a go! I was surprised how delicate and sensitive the fabric was, it was not at all what I expected from a fabric used in workwear conditions. Maby other brands have a more durable fabric in their take on the Browns beach cloth. I ended up selling it as it was to Fragile.

Cheers Joakim

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think anything above 45 degrees Fahrenheit and you'd be pouring down sweat. Despite being a relatively light fabric it's insanely warm. Wind has a hard time passing through it. Trust me, I know. I live in "the Windy City";)
I've experienced the worst your city has to offer, Ton. The wind that comes off the lake could cut through concrete!

I had one of the Joe McCoy/Real McCoy golden thread raschel beach cloth jacket a while a go! I was surprised how delicate and sensitive the fabric was, it was not at all what I expected from a fabric used in workwear conditions. Maby other brands have a more durable fabric in their take on the Browns beach cloth. I ended up selling it as it was to Fragile.
That's interesting, WB. The Real McCoy's I saw was more solid than the Brown's jacket, the former was almost like melton or felt. The Brown's was relatively light, tbh.

Sloan, I'd think you'd find the Okayama denim version to be quite stout. I'm not into delicate clothing of any kind and despite the lighter weight it's definitely a substantial piece of outerwear. Save the search on eBay!

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I'd like a Browns Beach jacket but I've yet to see a style I'm completely sure I'd wear enough myself to warrant the purchase, that said I do quite like the RM one pictured. RRL had a nice version I saw a while back but the price was other worldly even compared to these others.

I got the Okayama Vest and also the scarf('muffler') this winter.

The scarf is a much tighter weave than the vest, thinner thread and noticeably much, much warmer.

The vest is a thicker thread and less tightly woven. Its warm and does cut the wind out, I've only been wearing it for layering but I wouldn't say it would ever be uncomfortably warm, though with a full jacket that might be the case.

Very happy with both of them and glad I bought them. Ordered them both from Okayama Denim, one was thankfully with a sale code, and their service was great, delivery on both items was a couple days which was pretty impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads