Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-2 Jacket Suggestions

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Hi, I stumbled across the B-2 jacket in my search for a horsehide winter jacket and fell in love. Warm, but not bulky and very stylish. The one I adore is from Buzz Rickson's. Unfortunately, I read some unflattering things about HP, their US distributor. I've never dealt with them, however, and don't want to assume too much. Are there any trusted resellers (including HP) you guys can recommend for this jacket (Rakuten is sold out) and do you know of any other B-2 repro makers? Does anybody own one of these repros? Thank you.

Here's a picture:

http://en.item.rakuten.com/hinoya/br80074/

JanSolo

Practically Family
Eastman leather is the official EU distributor for everything BR related. The B2 is on their site:

http://www.buzzricksons.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

It seems to be in stock and I am pretty sure that they will ship to the US. The Buzz B2 is without doubt the most beautiful B2 that's available. LostWorldsInc make one which looks very good but only the BRB2 does have the super cosy moquette lining and the huge collar with the distinct colour.
If I had the cash I would buy one today. Good luck!

Edward

Bartender
Over here they're distributed by Eastman, now on a dedicated sub-site:

http://www.buzzricksons.com/product_info.php?products_id=31

Might be worth a try, though I would suspect that most likely HPA have an exclusive deal with Buzz for the US territory.

The only other option for a B2 of which I am currently aware, at least that I can find selling on the EU / US markets, is Lost Worlds:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/B-2_Horsehide_Leather_Flight_Jacket.htm

B-2-9.jpg

I personally prefer the lighter colour collar of the Buzz, though given the nature of Stuart LW's operation, I should have thought that he could accommodate that (assuming he doesn't decide such a request is 'unmanly' lol ).

Yeesh, I just saw the price of the Buzz.... I'm sure it was "only" GBP850 last I looked.... I'd love a B2 myself, I've long adored that style, but having both a B3 and an Irvin already, I'm in no hurry - for now, I'm holding off in the hope that Aero will produce one sooner or later. I wish someone other than Buzz would do a run of the USAF 50s era nylon B15 jackets too (ideally, Alpha reprising their Replica series), but that's another matter.

John Lever

One Too Many
I have had all the repro B-2's available from B-R L-W and The Few.

I would rank them in decreasing order like this -

1. BR
2. The Few
10. Lost worlds

The Few is a great jacket but is very expensive at £1600 !! plus duty [$2500]
The Buzz is still pricey but is so comfortable to wear.

IMGP1575.jpg

Few

BuzzRicksons042.jpg

Buzz

LWB2014.jpg

LW
Go for the BR.

Edward

Bartender
John, why do you rate the LW so far behind the Buzz? I know you have both (I remember a great thread on this, actually, but I don't see it on a quick search), what's the main difference? Looks wise, I very much prefer the lighter collar colour on the Buzz, but I had assumed the LW would be just as good. Is it one of Stuart's heria-inducingly heavy jackets for which he has a reputation?

I remember the rumour Aero were looking at a B2 (and, indeed, a B1) - you ever heard any more about that? If they could bring one it at the price of a Barnstormer or less, I should have thought they could find a market for it.

John Lever

One Too Many
Edward,
The LW is made of very heavy unyielding painted HH that lacks any character. There is heavy leather and there is too heavy leather that is just restrictive.
The waist is too wide to be fastened with the belt ,the collar and pocket buttons are impossible to fasten as is the neck snap. The zip is not man enough for the weight of the jacket. Coupled with a very irritating blanket liner. It just can't compete with the others that are made from beautiful veg. tanned aniline hh. and are wearers straight out of the box with very nice Hookless or Talon zips.
The BR is just a killer.
Re. the B-2 or B-1 from Aero it just never happened unfortunately.
As far as HPA goes all I can say is that they were very helpful all the way when I bought my jacket. They even sent me a free zip for the BR as a spare.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks. John. I appreciate you posting those pictures. Man, the Buzz version is gorgeous, and I'm glad you had a positive experience with HPA, since they appear to be my only affordable option, if they even have my size in stock. (Rakuten is sold out.) I will save my pennies and hope the jacket is available for me when the time comes. I checked and the stock size they have in a 42 is a perfect fit for me (26" on sleeve and back).

Thanks again. Looks killer.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I second John Lever's assessment. I have the both the Buzz Rickson's and the Lost Worlds B-2. Although I like and wear both I would recommend the Buzz version. It is truer to the original design and is more comfortable to wear.

I bought mine from History Preservation Associates in 2008 and they were a pleasure to deal with. I have never had a bad experience with them.

Noel

Edward

Bartender
Edward,
The LW is made of very heavy unyielding painted HH that lacks any character. There is heavy leather and there is too heavy leather that is just restrictive.
The waist is too wide to be fastened with the belt ,the collar and pocket buttons are impossible to fasten as is the neck snap. The zip is not man enough for the weight of the jacket. Coupled with a very irritating blanket liner. It just can't compete with the others that are made from beautiful veg. tanned aniline hh. and are wearers straight out of the box with very nice Hookless or Talon zips.
The BR is just a killer.
Re. the B-2 or B-1 from Aero it just never happened unfortunately.
As far as HPA goes all I can say is that they were very helpful all the way when I bought my jacket. They even sent me a free zip for the BR as a spare.

Ah, the (in)famous LW over-building, eh?

Shame about the Aero; they're one company that, with the quality of their HH, really could turn out a fantastic B2. Maybe they just don't think there'd be a market for it?

Edward

Bartender
They do so many kinds of B-3 that it would probably compete with their own product line.

Maybe. I would have thought, though that it would give them something the competition don't have, especially with Aero's reputation for HH. Ah, well.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Of course, it's esoteric, and an argument could always be made that the sheepskin Irvin is the same jacket but better and much easier to make. There are always good arguments not to reproduce something esoteric.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S