Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average size for jackets?

fishmeok

Vendor
I've been thinking a lot about what size to make my next jacket (after I finish the one I'm working on). I need to practice different sizes so I'm interested in what everybody thinks is a good "generic" size to try- I know we are generally stouter about the tum these days, butafter having been on the VLJ and the Lounge for a while it seems like there are as many 40's as 48's out there. Any opinions?

Funny byline- over the last four months I've made two good jackets and am working on the third. I make everything in my size, and I noted the other day that I'm making each jacket slightly larger than the previous one- The jackets aren't getting too small, I'm getting too big...:)
Cheers
Mark

JLStorm

Practically Family
I always thought that mid range sizes like 42/44 were the norm. I wear a 50/52 and believe me anything 48 and larger becomes very hard to to find, so I wouldnt think there are that many people in that size range comparatively.

Longshanks

New in Town
Pop Size

fishmeok said:
I've been thinking a lot about what size to make my next jacket

we are generally stouter about the tum these days

Mark--
There are two off-price stores (Syms & Daffy's) between where I work and where I live in New York; the most popular size seems to be 40.

I'd have to agree with your first point as there is a plethora of chubby sizes with a sideshow of extremely tiny skinny fine-boned Italian sizes. Of course, my data selection is limited, but extending source data to Macy's & Bloomingdale's indicate nothing but chubby sizes. But as they say, there's lies, d***ed lies, statistics, and ill-fitting clothing. Uh...do they say that??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe