Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask Before It Is Too Late

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In searching for information about my father's service record, I have met with one dead end after another. His records were lost in the unfamous fire in the early 1970's. He died in 1989.
Recently, I wrote to the only guy I remember who remained dad's friend after the war, trying to gain information. Sadly, the letters were returned; the gentleman has apparently passed away.

So... if you have a relative who has served your nation and want to know more, ask them. They are quickly vanishing, and their stories are being lost. I deeply lament the apparent loss of the story of dad's contribution to the ETO, WWII.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If the veteran received treatment at a VA hospital, it is possible that
medical records (VA medical files are typically stored separately from military
personnel records) still exist at a government storage site. Ask the VA to track
down the file and secure it if possible. Quite often, additional service
information is contained within. The VA regularly destroys deceased veteran
medical records, so it is important to secure these materials while existant.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
If you know the units that your father served in, sometimes those units will have published unit histories or yearbooks that may include information on your father. Also if there are active veterans from those units, sometimes they will publish memoirs or histories of the unit. Try doing a search on the units first and go from there.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This same thing happened to me!

scotrace said:
In searching for information about my father's service record, I have met with one dead end after another. His records were lost in the unfamous fire in the early 1970's. He died in 1989.
Recently, I wrote to the only guy I remember who remained dad's friend after the war, trying to gain information. Sadly, the letters were returned; the gentleman has apparently passed away.

So... if you have a relative who has served your nation and want to know more, ask them. They are quickly vanishing, and their stories are being lost. I deeply lament the apparent loss of the story of dad's contribution to the ETO, WWII.

An old fellow who actually served under my uncle on Guadalcanal. He wrote to me told me what high esteem he felt for the Colonel. I failed to respond in a timely manner. When I finally did write, he too had passed.

I felt terrible as that bit of history died without being shared. I have always felt that the old gentleman would have enjoyed telling me as much as I would cherished hearing him. It was entirely my fault for taking too long and allowing life to just get in the way.

I'm always reminded of Lennon's lyric; "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans". Death too, it seems.

-dixon cannon

June

Familiar Face
Army Research Tool

I posted this book in the "What are You Reading ?" thread, but it also very appropriate here. Just this week I picked up Finding Your Father's War-A Practical Guide to Researching and Understanding Service in the WWII US Army. Authored by Jonathan Gawne. Fantastic reference. The dedication reads, "To those who served, but have no one to tell their stories."
I'm researching my uncle's WWII service. He was with the 3rd Army and "went across" to Europe in mid-January of 1944 on the Empire Lance. Unfortunately, that's all I know. His records were also destroyed in the St. Louis fire, and he died in 1977.
Wishing luck to all who search.
J

My father served in Korea and I have no idea what friends he had over there as they did not last into my sentient times. Is there also a resource for Korean War veterans? I think he might have went to a VFW meeting once or twice but it just wasn't his thing. I think he preferred to forget. [huh] I never asked either; though I don't think I would have gotten much out of him. He was one of those that we have a hard time with in our research of history---they don't want any credit or rememberance. They were there, did the job and its over now. [huh] I think I can sort of understand though.

Regards,

J

June

Familiar Face
James-a couple of months ago I stumbled upon an amazing website dedicated to the Korean War. Unbelievable amount of info. Just after that our computer crashed-taking with it, among other things, all of my bookmarked military sites. I'll do some surfing and try to find it again. I do remember though, that there was talk of the website shutting down due to lack of financial support. Do you have a particular unit that you're searching for ?
Best to you,
June

June said:
James-a couple of months ago I stumbled upon an amazing website dedicated to the Korean War. Unbelievable amount of info. Just after that our computer crashed-taking with it, among other things, all of my bookmarked military sites. I'll do some surfing and try to find it again. I do remember though, that there was talk of the website shutting down due to lack of financial support. Do you have a particular unit that you're searching for ?
Best to you,
June

I will check my father's records that I have during lunch. I don't remember off hand.
I did try to call the local VFW as well but they had a recording and I left a message. You know, after 13 years I thought I was kind of used to him being gone. I had to hang up and call again half way through because I just couldn't get out what I wanted to ask. [huh]

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

My father landed at Point du Hoc on D-Day. He was a Ranger. He flatly refuses to talk about his experiences there. I know he was awarded three Purple Hearts and the Silver Star.He swares that there are four or five days that he has blacked out of his memory. Getting anything out of him takes a lot of time and even them it is not easy. He does however spend every Memorial Day in DC and visits with other veterans.

DOUGLAS said:
My father landed at Point du Hoc on D-Day. He was a Ranger. He flatly refuses to talk about his experiences there. I know he was awarded three Purple Hearts and the Silver Star.He swares that there are four or five days that he has blacked out of his memory. Getting anything out of him takes a lot of time and even them it is not easy. He does however spend every Memorial Day in DC and visits with other veterans.

I bet there are a lot of them out there like that. They just don't want to be bothered.
Maybe this will help. The only time my father actually talked about what he did was when another veteran was bragging about what he did during the war. Then it was open season. They hate braggards. Get them around one or two and get out the pen. :D

Regards,

J

BegintheBeguine

Eisenhower jacket and Purple Heart

My dad was the same way, and he was non-combatant. He remained great friends with the old gang, though, and he and I published the newsletter several times a year. (I still do.) My dad died suddenly 2 days after we returned from the final Army Reunion, but not before telling me about a certain flag he relieved a German house of. ;) ;) I didn't get the story but I have the flag.

DOUGLAS

You are right JP he dislikes braggards. I think his silence is not because he can't be bothered but because,I get the sense, that he truely saw things that he was horrified by and can't verbalize. My father was very good at hand to hand fighting (still is) and when asked one time how he was able to survive his comment was that he wanted to live more than the soldiers he was fighting.

DOUGLAS said:
You are right JP he dislikes braggards. I think his silence is not because he can't be bothered but because,I get the sense, that he truely saw things that he was horrified by and can't verbalize. My father was very good at hand to hand fighting (still is) and when asked one time how he was able to survive his comment was that he wanted to live more than the soldiers he was fighting.

Yes, you are right. I think it does have to do with that was well.
I looked up my father's service company over lunch. Far as I can tell from the abbreviations:
Service Company 1st ENGineers BattalioN, 1st Marine Division
Several cities are mentioned on the certificate as well. Any information would be great.

Regards,

J

scotrace said:

Other than the tall tales about getting shot at while riding a motorbike through german territory, my grandfathers refused to speak about their experiences. The second world war was not a proud moment in their lives. Simply a brief interlude that all but shattered their psyches for the rest of their lives.

I asked; they didn't want to talk.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
Other than the tall tales about getting shot at while riding a motorbike through german territory, my grandfathers refused to speak about their experiences. The second world war was not a proud moment in their lives. Simply a brief interlude that all but shattered their psyches for the rest of their lives.

I asked; they didn't want to talk.

bk

I think I see a pattern here. You can't really force them to relive memories that are probably pretty horrific for them. I got one small part of a story of my father clearing a minefield. A guy pretty close to him stepped right on a mine. :eek:
He always used to laugh at TV stuff on mines that they make two clicks before exploding. He said they only made one out in the field where he was and you likely never lived to tell about it.
Did I also mention he hated MASH the TV series?

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
My Dad was stationed stateside during WWII. He did see Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7. I have a friend whose Dad was in Korea. The only thing he told Eddie and I about the war was that the U.S. fought all the way into China and Truman pulled the troops back and they had to fight their way back into Korea. :eusa_doh: He also said the most frightening sight he saw was when he was waiting for the Chinese and all of a sudden 250,000 Chinese soldiers stood up and charged at them. He said it looked like a swarm of ants coming after him. Dad also had a cousin who was at Chosin and they never found him.:(

June

Familiar Face
JP-I'll See What I Can Find

Sorry for the delay-unexpectedly busy weekend. I'll do some checking and see what turns up. Sometimes it's a gold mine, and sometimes it's the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Re getting used to your dad being gone: my mom's been gone for 10 years and my dad for 7, and I sometimes still get caught off guard by the emotions, usually when I least expect it.
Best to you,
June

June said:
Sorry for the delay-unexpectedly busy weekend. I'll do some checking and see what turns up. Sometimes it's a gold mine, and sometimes it's the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Re getting used to your dad being gone: my mom's been gone for 10 years and my dad for 7, and I sometimes still get caught off guard by the emotions, usually when I least expect it.
Best to you,
June

Thanks. :D
I know what you mean. Reading about some of the battles he was in and the full out fighting that he never mentioned did catch me off guard.
Camp Pendleton and the VFW haven't responded yet. [huh]

Regards,

J

June

Familiar Face
JP-Some 1st Marine Division Resources

James-Here are links to some general info I found on the Internet. You may have already seen some of them. Hope they help.
-www.koreanwar.org- I think this is the site I mentioned in an earlier post. Looks like it has tons of info.
-www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/1marinediv.htm
-www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/p_kwar_unit_citations.htm
-www.koreanwar.com/USMarines/us-marines.html
-www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmchist/1967 (pages 19 thru 23)
-www.military.com mentions the following books, as well as a few others:
The Final Crucible-US Marines in Korea, Volume #2, 1953. By John Lee Ballenger.
Breakout:Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950. By Martin Russ.
-There's also the 1st Marine Division Association. I had trouble with their site; both times I visited, my computer froze. Looks to be a great site, though.
Best of luck,
June

June said:
James-Here are links to some general info I found on the Internet. You may have already seen some of them. Hope they help.
-www.koreanwar.org- I think this is the site I mentioned in an earlier post. Looks like it has tons of info.
-www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/1marinediv.htm
-www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/p_kwar_unit_citations.htm
-www.koreanwar.com/USMarines/us-marines.html
-www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmchist/1967 (pages 19 thru 23)
-www.military.com mentions the following books, as well as a few others:
The Final Crucible-US Marines in Korea, Volume #2, 1953. By John Lee Ballenger.
Breakout:Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950. By Martin Russ.
-There's also the 1st Marine Division Association. I had trouble with their site; both times I visited, my computer froze. Looks to be a great site, though.
Best of luck,
June

Thanks for the information. :D
I will check it out as soon as I can. I will definitely have to check out the Chosin book. My father was there. :eek:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg