Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a Bailey straw Panama hat?

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
How does it compare to other brands? Nobody seems to like the look outside of this forum. Is that common?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
westinghouse said:
How does it compare to other brands? Nobody seems to like the look outside of this forum. Is that common?

Bailey isn't too highly regarded around here because they mostly produce inexpensive wool felts. I had a couple of their wool felt models when I first started getting into hats, and they were OK for what they were, but I've never had one of their straws. Their Panamas are probably not bad, but I think they're the cheaper brisa weave. You can get a fino brisa weave Cuenca from Panama Bob for less than a Bailey, and it's probably better made. I don't have one of those either, so I'll defer to someone else who has experience with these hats, but that's the general wisdom.[huh]

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Bailey Panama

Mr E Train said:
Their Panamas are probably not bad, but I think they're the cheaper brisa weave. You can get a fino brisa weave Cuenca from Panama Bob for less than a Bailey, and it's probably better made.

I have a Bailey panama and the above is true. It's a cheap weave, and you can get much better panama's from Bob. The only reason I bought it was that I got it for a steal. I was on vacation in Seattle, and stopped into Bernie Utz hat store. The Bailey panama caught my eye because of its shape: straight sided crown with no taper, 5" high, and a 3" brim. It looked like a straw version of my campdraft. Plus it was on sale to boot! So for less than $40 I got a decent panama. The only thing I really don't like is the fabric sweatband. I'll sweat right thru it in hot weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe