Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Suggestions for Uncreasing a Hat Ribbon

stylinfedoras

New in Town
I have a straw hat that has been stored improperly and the ribbon on the outside of the crown has been pushed out of shape. Can one steam it back straight or do I need to iron it back into shape.

stylinfedoras said:
I have a straw hat that has been stored improperly and the ribbon on the outside of the crown has been pushed out of shape. Can one steam it back straight or do I need to iron it back into shape.

Yes to both. You need to steam it back into shape and iron it to set it. Fortunately, the wife has a very small quilter's iron. The surface is only about 1 inch by 1/2 inch wide. It works great for ribbons. For stubborn ones the spray starch does wonders. Just be sure to test it in an inconspicuous area to make sure it will not hurt the ribbon. I just did a straw hat's pugaree with it and some spray starch without removing the pugaree. It made it look like a hat again. :cool2:

Regards,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
WAIT !!!

JP, lord knows as well as the rest of my fellow FL brethren that I don't know all that much about Hats... but I did put a HOT Iron to a ribbon before and I can say "I wished I hadn't".

I was successful in removing the wrinkle, but I changed ever so slightly the surface finish appearance of the Ribbon.
Now I know, no one will notice in casual passing, but I know and it bugs me.

I steamed the wrinkle a bunch but it wouldn't go completely away, soooo I thunked, hey, I'll just apply the iron itself. I iron all my own pants and shirts and it works great, but in this case it changed the ribbon surface finish appearance some.

Be Careful is all I can say.

Heheheh! I didn't say turn the iron on full blast and burn the ribbon. :p The iron I was talking about was a small quilter's iron made by clover. You can adjust the heat setting just as you can with a clothing iron.
I am guessing that we are dealing with a pugaree not a ribbon. In either case, you can iron a ribbon if you are careful and set it on the rayon synthetic setting. Most millinery ribbons are a viscous material that is synthetic and will shine if you get it too hot in one spot. Perhaps I should have mentioned about getting it too hot before. :icon_smil

Regards to all,

J

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Perhaps a press cloth will help with the shine the cloth takes the beating from the iron and conveys no shine on the original material. Anyway thanks for the info I will give it a try this weekend and see how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally