Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another caveat emptor

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Following photobyalan's example, here is another eBay auction to be wary about.

Old Vintage Knox New York Men's Grey Hat, Original Box

This hat is described as a size 7-1/8. The seller has measured the inside circumference of this hat for me and reports it to be 21 1/4 inches. That puts this hat at size 6-5/8 or 6-3/4 -- a very small hat. I have informed the seller of this, but there has been no change in the listing. My question and the seller's answer have not been posted to the listing.

Matt and Andy, am I violating Fedora Lounge policy by posting this here? I didn't post it in Classifieds, for fear it would be missed by most Lounge members. What do you recommend we do when this comes up next time?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think that there are many hats that have been listed on Ebay that are not accurately described . This goes to the size and age as well as condition . The responsability should also be on the buyer as well .I have bought items online that the seller had no idea what he was selling and got a great deal .
I once bought a Stetson hat that was from the 1880's and was in perfect condition . The antique store had no idea what they were selling and had a buy it now for 35.00 . :cool2:

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Besdor, I'd love to see some pictures of that hat if you can post them! I've never seen a hat that old...

Sincerely,
Rob

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suppose I'd still trust the tag on that hat over
some sloppy seller's attempt to measure the interior.

Part of the mystery of eBay...

Feraud

Bartender
feltfan said:
I suppose I'd still trust the tag on that hat over
some sloppy seller's attempt to measure the interior.

Part of the mystery of eBay...
Ditto on that! If the tag says 7 1/8th., trust the tag.

stylinfedoras

New in Town
There is a trick to measuring the inside of a hat that is not easily apparent. I am sure a method has been mentioned here before but it took me years to figure out a way to do it. Now it's easier but I'm not so sure it still is exact and that is doing it with a leather belt.

And of course it depends where you take the measurement because if you take it too deep inside on the sweatband you will still arrive with an incorrect reading.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
From the auction:

"It has a tag that read Ovalized 7 1/8 sixteenths."

I think one can assume that the speller is both typing and hat-challenged. Possibly math-challenged as well.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Pilgrim said:
From the auction:

"It has a tag that read Ovalized 7 1/8 sixteenths."

I think one can assume that the speller is both typing and hat-challenged. Possibly math-challenged as well.

Actually the photo of the tag says just that on it. I, too, found that curious since my dome is a nice 7 1/8!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ebay listings are usually not what we want here,.......

Wolfmanjack said:

FOr this post,it is a moot point. The Ebay auction on this has ended. I don't want to see Ebay listings in the HATS section, they belong in the classified section. And generally, that section is supposed to be for something you are selling, ie. offering to the members here first.

In all honesty, and this contradicts "Official Policy" if that exists, but to give others a "Hot Tip", it should be in the Classified section. I don't mind posting an Ebay link AFTER YOU HAVE WON THAT ITEM, and are using the link to show off a new "member of your hat family".

The problem is, left unchecked, this section could be reduced to a shill for Ebay.

No you did nothing wrong. No abuse seen, my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally