Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AN 6552 by H&L Block

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I have just acquired my latest Navy jacket – although still a big fan of A-2s I have trouble with getting sizes and the price is sometimes prohibitive so I have decided for the moment to concentrate on USN jackets as these can be obtained for less than the cost of a repro.

My latest jacket is an AN 6552 by H&L Block. The jacket is in absolutely superb condition. There is light wear to the mouton collar and a few small repairs to the lining and knits (around 10 per cent). The Block contract was unique in as far as the lining has a double pleated section down the centre and the grommet holes were stitched as opposed to metal on all the other contracts I have seen. The jacket has all original knits and the goatskin is thick and very supple – a superb example of this early contract G1. I also have a Block M422a so like the collectors of A2s, it is nice to have two early contracts from the same maker. The label is slightly worn but intact and although it is a size 40 it fits more like a 42/44 – again there is much variation between the same sizes across the various makers.

I really don’t think I could find a better example easily as this contarct only ran for around 6 months – the AN 6552 is rarer than the M422a.

All I need to find now is an ANJ 3 and I will have all the early contracts.

My navy collection now comprises:
M422a – Edmund Church
M422a – H&L Block (early contract)
AN6552 – H&L Block
55j14 – Pritzker & Sons
7823 – Cagleco Sportswear (the first contract circa mid 1950s)

I am one happy bunny!

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
aswatland said:
The Block came from me and I do have pictures, but perhaps Bob will post some of himself wearing it.

Hi Andrew, having problems getting decent pics at the moment so if you don’t mind, could you post the pics you have?

Thanks, Bob

Maverickson

Familiar Face
bobbyball said:
Hi everyone,

I have just acquired my latest Navy jacket – although still a big fan of A-2s I have trouble with getting sizes and the price is sometimes prohibitive so I have decided for the moment to concentrate on USN jackets as these can be obtained for less than the cost of a repro.

My latest jacket is an AN 6552 by H&L Block. The jacket is in absolutely superb condition. There is light wear to the mouton collar and a few small repairs to the lining and knits (around 10 per cent). The Block contract was unique in as far as the lining has a double pleated section down the centre and the grommet holes were stitched as opposed to metal on all the other contracts I have seen. The jacket has all original knits and the goatskin is thick and very supple – a superb example of this early contract G1. I also have a Block M422a so like the collectors of A2s, it is nice to have two early contracts from the same maker. The label is slightly worn but intact and although it is a size 40 it fits more like a 42/44 – again there is much variation between the same sizes across the various makers.

I really don’t think I could find a better example easily as this contarct only ran for around 6 months – the AN 6552 is rarer than the M422a.

All I need to find now is an ANJ 3 and I will have all the early contracts.

My navy collection now comprises:
M422a – Edmund Church
M422a – H&L Block (early contract)
AN6552 – H&L Block
55j14 – Pritzker & Sons
7823 – Cagleco Sportswear (the first contract circa mid 1950s)

I am one happy bunny!

Hi BB,

I have just acquired a Cagleco G-1 jacket. This jacket is 911A mode. If possible I would like to get a look at your jacket as to make some comparisions. If you still have that jacket would you please post some pics?

Cheers, Dave

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Maverickson said:
Hi BB,

I have just acquired a Cagleco G-1 jacket. This jacket is 911A mode. If possible I would like to get a look at your jacket as to make some comparisions. If you still have that jacket would you please post some pics?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, yes I still have the jacket. I am no good at pics but must master this as I have loads of jackets that need to be shown. I will try and sort this out but I am away on business a lot.

The Cagleco I have is in mint unworn condition – the only fault being that our friend mister moth had lunch with one of the wristlets but I managed to repair it quite well.

Here are some details:
Silver USN stamped under collar
Nickel Conmar zipper – small teeth
White woven size label inside pocket – and size integrated on gold spec label

Unperforated windflap with pointed angular top (on some these are rounded)

Fairly pointed mouton collar

long arms – moreso than others I have.

Knit is slightly reddish brown – this may have faded over the years.

Fine pebble grain which is uniform across the jacket – no areas of larger grain but again as this is is unworn it may develop further through wear.

Hope this helps while you await pictures.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
hi, this seems like the place to ask, i have recently bought a Monarch or WILLIS AND GEIGER AN-J-3A in pretty poor condition, but have all the spares ready to make it good again, first of, where is recommended, I know Eastman are now only renovating their own jackets, and Aero are meant to be the nuts, but wondered if any others are worth a pop, want it as good/authentic as possible, the collar and leather and in good shape, apart from one reasonably deep cut on the front, which should be easy enough to fix.

And is there anyone out there who has a bell zipper pull of a blackened or brass talon, all I really need is the bell itself, but if the whole mechanism is available thats fine too. would prefer original (of course)

Can put some photos up if anyone is interested, and also have a H.L Block An-6552 turning up this week as well which needs a bit of work.

Always in the market for a small size (36/38) jacket A-2 or G-1 original or repro (only repro if it's a good-un) thanks alot, hope to hear from some of you

b.chamboid @ gmail .com

Edward

Bartender
I would talk to Aero. I've never had repairs done by them, but based on the quality of the half dozen Aero jackets I own, I'm a big fan of their work. You do have to wait for them, they're a small operation and popular, but I'd consider it worth it if you're not in a rush.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Thank you Edward, you just confirmed what I already though, how long do they take usually?

This is my latest acquisition to add to the burgeoning collection, my first 'named' flight jacket, which is nice to have a bit of traceable history.

It's a A. Pritzker & Son SPEC. 55J14 (AER) Contract NO. N383S-69537

I have tried to find out as much infomation as i can, but info on Pritzker & Sons is scarce in the ground, some say it's quite a rare brand, other not so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

the photos...

55j14.jpg

55j142.jpg

55j143.jpg

55j144.jpg

55j145.jpg

55j146.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your Pritzker G-1 is from their first contract with the US Navy, which dates from the 1951 fiscal year. Their second and last contract dates to 1953. I have seen quite a few Pritzker G-1s over the years, but do not know the size of these two contracts compared with other makers from the early 1950s. The goatskin on your jacket appears to be in very good condition.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
Thank you, missed out on a H.L Block M422a, but just a fleas whisker, which was a real shame, then came across this and felt better. Where do you get your 'G-1' information from just experience or is there a good on line data-base?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only reference book is Full Gear, which is written in Japanese, but has the contract info in English. It is an invaluable reference book, but is very expensive and can generally only be purchased direct from the author.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
aswatland could you help me with this contact no. it's a L.W Foster AN-J-3a contract no. N383s1035 when exactly was this made, what year, it is painted with a WWII U.S.N Disney patch of the VO-3 (Oswald the lucky Rabbit riding a bomb, with binoculars) and want to find out about when this would have been done?

I also have a Gordon and Furgison M-422a listed to a officer of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserves, is this common, for a U.S.N jacket to given to a British Officer?

Thanks Chamboid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe