Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'American Living' jacket

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Americanlivingbomberjacket.jpg

Stopped by J.C. Penny today and saw what looked like an A-2 from the front. Though "mall jackets" are numerous, I thought I'd take a look.

Yep, looks just like an A-2 from the front. No handwarming pockets, nice narrow sleeves. Turn it around and it has not only a belted back but also a bi-swing back.
Looks like an A-2 and a Highwayman had a baby!

Tried it on. The fit was good, not too baggy though a little long for my liking, especially for a knit. Narrow sleeves like any good A-2. The leather was thick and needed much breaking in. The tag read $350. The brand was "American Living", a Ralph Lauren company. Seems like a decent jacket, though not for $350.

Check it out if you're ever in Pennys, might be something someone is interested in. I'm glad to see a non-A-2 jacket with a belted back and bi-swing.

At the link below it's on sale for $200 instead of $400.
Link

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Thin enough" and "thick enough" are completely subjective terms. One person's thin is one person's thick. My suggestion would be check it out at your local J.C. Penney store. There's a "search local stores" button where you enter your zip code and it'll tell you what area store has it in stock. Just click the link in the original post.

The American Living line at Penney's has had some really nice things recently - French cuff shirts, etc.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Compared to other 'mall' jackets the leather was thick, but that is subjective, as Mike said. I thought the leather was rather thick and stiff, but I'm no jacket expert.

The best way to find out would be to examine it for oneself.

Matt Deckard said:
Is it thick enough to hold up to work wear?

looks great!

Most definitely thick enough for that. The fit was not perfect but I do not expect that from an off-the-rack jacket from Pennys. Nice looking indeed, I couldn't believe I was seeing a belted- and bi-swing back on a modern piece!

Edit: Heck, if you go to the link I provided in the OP and zoom in on the collar edge you can tell that it is at least decently thick leather.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Was back at Pennys again today and checked out the jacket more closely. The leather is thick and quite tough. Looks like it would have a nice grain after a bit of wear.

A few details. I discovered that it does have hand warmer pockets but they are so well hidden that you can't tell they are there. No epaulettes on the shoulders. Just a nice, heavy jacket. They were on sale for $199, just like the website. Who knows,they might go on sale even more in the future. Anyone else check these jackets out yet?

The "American Living" brand also has some nice vintage-style short vests with four pockets. Your choice of herringbone tweed or corduroy. A little expensive at $60, though.
Also, Pennys is selling some 3-piece suits now. One of them had a short vintage-style vest with a rather nice ventless jacket. It seems the 3-piece trend has nearly reached the bottom of the fashion ladder.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
WeLCOME to the DaRK SiDE...

i posted in an earlier thread about leaving the miljacket search for authenticity, and actually buying a schott 184sm, as beautiful, albeit non-authentic, a mishmosh of flight jacket and a-2 styles as you can find...

http://www.schottnyc.com/bomber-jackets/a-2-naked-cowhide-leather-flight.htm

now i see your post...

i was an authenticity snob
...but then looking at older jackets on ebay that were civi and had hybrid combos of military stylings, certainly not authentic militarily as a whole...i saw some amazing jackets

the one you post here fits into that category...ralph lauren makes some outstanding jackets...while the whole is not a mil type, what features lauren puts into their jackets do seem quite authentically and well done...i'd love to see a back view of this piece, but the site didn't have such a view...but the jacket itself has a great, classic 50s quality to it...and that's what lauren has been known for, if not mil authenticity, then classic American authenticity, from an American time and place that may or may not have existed in reality, but one that we'd like to think existed

great jack, and the $199 price is amazing

of course, this coming from someone who just purchased a new black schott 184sm (for $380 tho!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld