Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha b-15: What a waste of time, energy, and money

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Pulled on my 80s MA-1 for the first time a couple of days ago, and was surprised how warm it was despite being so light-weight.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased a 'light weight' MA1 from G&B last year. I'm 5.10" 46" chest & purchased a Regular XL. Quality of materials is good, I personally feel that the nylon looks 'flat' & the cut is on the LARGE size & not the sort of fit I like. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a jacket that sits around my navel but I don't want an MA1 that covers my A** either. :D

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I purchased a 'light weight' MA1 from G&B last year. I'm 5.10" 46" chest & purchased a Regular XL. Quality of materials is good, I personally feel that the nylon looks 'flat' & the cut is on the LARGE size & not the sort of fit I like. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a jacket that sits around my navel but I don't want an MA1 that covers my A** either. :D

Is Alpha a better sized cut when it comes to proper fit? I have found a number of $39.95 Chinese import specials that look nice, and have good reviews online.
Cockpit has a few satin flight jackets too.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Has anyone ever purchased an MA-1 from G&B? They make them in house and look like they should have a quality jacket. Not sure about the "repro" details, but if it fits and looks good, if it is warm, and affordable - well constructed, that is what I care about.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the G&B MA-1s are made by Alpha. If you check out the pics on their website, you can see the little Alpha tab on the sleeve pocket.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the G&B MA-1s are made by Alpha. If you check out the pics on their website, you can see the little Alpha tab on the sleeve pocket.

For what it's worth, Amanda at G/B says they make everything there in El Cajon.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
For what it's worth, Amanda at G/B says they make everything there in El Cajon.

Everything EXCEPT the MA-1 with orange lining. That would be the USAF MA-1 @ $98 , black, sage, and navy. Got the inside scoop from an employee, not Amanda, who is very nice, BTW. She did my first order for the A-2

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
And here is a Buzz Rickson B-15C:

2_zpse2f52461.jpg

1_zpsd7bd0dba.jpg

That BR B-15C is beautiful, really stunning.

I have a soft spot for Cs and have two myself, not BRs unfortunately. The quintessential Korean War jacket in my mind.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Everything EXCEPT the MA-1 with orange lining. That would be the USAF MA-1 @ $98 , black, sage, and navy. Got the inside scoop from an employee, not Amanda, who is very nice, BTW. She did my first order for the A-2

Well, durn. Just when you think you know something.....

Guess I stand corrected. Their A-2's are nice, though, if big-sized. If you're shopping them, they'll give you more specific size measurements by phone or email. (Unlike Alpha.....).

bn1966

G&B are much easier to deal with than Alpha IMHO & they will give you measurements. I understand as stated above that their jackets are made at El Cajon. However, even though I think G&B materials are better I prefer the Chinese production Alpha's L2B as opposed to the 'light weight' G&B MA1. The Alpha IMO looks more 'puffy' & closer to the original USAF jackets. I found the G&B for me, more of a 'civilian' look. Mind, some may prefer that. The G&B is very light & was very large until I had it altered. It is more water resistant than my Alpha L2B which also needs shortening in body & sleeves to achieve the fit I like (short but not obscenely so). The G&B is useful for work where anything with a 'military' look would be frowned upon.

mezz07

New in Town
Is Alpha a better sized cut when it comes to proper fit? I have found a number of $39.95 Chinese import specials that look nice, and have good reviews online.
Cockpit has a few satin flight jackets too.

The Alpha MA-1s don't drape the same way as originals because they're not made of the same heavy wool/cotton interlining. The cut of the jacket is definitely more civilian. The pockets are moved too far back and the back length is definitely too long to be considered an authentic fit. However I have found vintage MA-1s to be very uncomfortable as far as cut. They are always riding up my back, so I'm not always opposed to a more comfortable civilian cut. But overall I was pretty happy with my Alpha MA-1. The nylon seemed decently thick and the details were ok for the money. The Indian Orange lining was a washed out color compared to originals with their deep dark orange. The originals are heavy and industrious in their construction. The Alphas are light weight but are warm and comfortable and they appear decently authentic. I always thought of my Alpha MA-1s as being copies of the USAF MA-1s from the late 70's and 80's after they switched to light weight polyester fiber fill interlining.

Here's a pic of two original MA-1s, a 1976 and a 1958. The second pic is of 2 Alphas. You can see the difference in the length as well as the pocket placement. The Alphas are cut longer. All these jackets are approximately the same size.

ma11_zps8c5e7297.jpg

ma12_zps4851805d.jpg

Attachments

• ma11_zps8c5e7297.jpg
    ma11_zps8c5e7297.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,684
  • ma12_zps4851805d.jpg
    ma12_zps4851805d.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,488
Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
So...which Alpha is better? A Chinese import, or a USA made version? This is directed at both the B-15, and the MA-1.

Last edited:

mezz07

New in Town
So...which Alpha is better? A Chinese import, or a USA made version? This is directed at both the B-15, and the MA-1.

The USA made Alphas are definitely considered better than the chinese made versions. Unfortunately the USA made versions are no longer manufactured. But they're still readily available on eBay for around $100 or so. This goes for the Alpha MA-1 and B-15.

The USA made Alphas have AF stencils on the sleeves. The chinese made Alphas do not.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The USA made Alphas are definitely considered better than the chinese made versions. Unfortunately the USA made versions are no longer manufactured. But they're still readily available on eBay for around $100 or so. This goes for the Alpha MA-1 and B-15.

The USA made Alphas have AF stencils on the sleeves. The chinese made Alphas do not.

So, which jacket of the two is warmer? The B-15? Or, are they both equally adept at holding in body heat? I did find a local surplus store that has the Vintage MA-1's, USA made, for $99.

Last edited:

bn1966

I'd keep an eye out for the old Alpha USA made 'Vintage' & 'Replica' series that do appear if you keep your eyes peeled on the 'bay'. In the last year I've scored 2 'Vintage' series B15s (Blue & Sage) and two from a 'Replica' series N2B & 50's MA1. The replicas are 'high end' Alpha with IMHO thicker nylon, study zips, wool knits & wool / cotton interlinings. They are heavy but quality jackets & my favourite nylons by far. :)

mezz07

New in Town
So, which jacket of the two is warmer? The B-15? Or, are they both equally adept at holding in body heat? I did find a local surplus store that has the Vintage MA-1's, USA made, for $99.

In my experience and surprise the Alpha MA-1 is warmer than the Alpha B-15. The MA-1 seemed to be a little thicker than the B-15. Of course the B-15 has the cozy fur that helps keep the cold out. Still, I believe the MA-1 is slightly warmer. The chinese made Alpha B-15s lack the throat latch, so that doesn't help either. Also the MA-1 is longer than the B-15, which also helps make it a little warmer.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I'd keep an eye out for the old Alpha USA made 'Vintage' & 'Replica' series that do appear if you keep your eyes peeled on the 'bay'. In the last year I've scored 2 'Vintage' series B15s (Blue & Sage) and two from a 'Replica' series N2B & 50's MA1. The replicas are 'high end' Alpha with IMHO thicker nylon, study zips, wool knits & wool / cotton interlinings. They are heavy but quality jackets & my favourite nylons by far. :)

Purchased two of the above, a Vintage B-15 USA Made, and a USA Made MA-1. Both off the Bay, and they will be here early next week. The decision was made after trying on numerous Alpha's in another country. I was quite impressed with the jackets.

Hope they fit and look as nice as the ones on the rack in the NATO store!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael