Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

irvinmad

New in Town
Hi Andrew, I have noticed some of you're interesting and informative posts on the Irvin Jacket... As the Irvin thread has now closed, where is the best place to find out detailed information on these jackets such as types of zips and fasteners etc? I am just looking for accurate information on which manufacturer used what types of zips etc? if you could help?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Andrew, I have noticed some of you're interesting and informative posts on the Irvin Jacket... As the Irvin thread has now closed, where is the best place to find out detailed information on these jackets such as types of zips and fasteners etc? I am just looking for accurate information on which manufacturer used what types of zips etc? if you could help?

Welcome to the forum. There were really only four makes of zip used by Wartime Irvin makers-Dot, Lightning, "N" and FF.Ltd. The last two types were only used as sleeve zips from 1943 onwards. All makers used the various varieties of Dot zips. Lightning zips were first on Irvins from late 1939 by Wareings and were used by all makers in subsequent years. The earliest IAC jackets from 1932-3 only had Dot single trunnion zips. These were used from 1932 until the end of the War. The cast zips were later, dating from the later 1930s. The nickel-plated unmarked Dot zips were used mainly from 1938-40. I hope this helps.

If you plough through this and the lengthy closed Irvin thread you should find examples of all these zips and other details about the jackets and trousers.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I think I read somewhere - don't remember where - that some Irvins had a tool pouch on the inside, in spite of pockets. Is there anything factual about this, or am I just imagining things?

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure what you mean think about it? The book will be on Irvins. There is plenty of material for a decent book and lots of interest from people.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Don't hold your breath! I've been pressing Andrew for the answer to this one for at least a couple of years... ;-)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Realy? You should think about it, after all books on US gear sell well, maybe not just Irvins but related gear as well.

Have you checked these two out?

41EA857WBBL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

416KJHVA5NL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Quite good actually.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
While both books are good for a range of items of clothing and equipment, they are poor in their coverage of Irvins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe