Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer in Black or Brown?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the Akubra Adventurer? Now that we're headed towards winter (at least as winter as it gets here) I'd like to get something that will keep my noggin warm and the damaging sun rays at bay.

I like the size of the hat -- I think it will fit my face. I also like the brown color. It looks a lot richer than the black but I'm not sure it would be as versatile? Could one wear the brown hat with a navy or charcoal suit as well as Levis or khakis? I'm a bit nervous that the brown might also look a bit too Raiders of the Lost Arky? Maybe the black would be a better choice?

I've always admired the high-crown campaign hat worn by Sam Elliot in The Rough Riders (it had a higher crown than other campaign hats in the movie) . Maybe I could bash it into a similar shape? Are there any neophytes here with experience in bashing Akubras? Finally, do Akubras run accurately with regard to size? Thanks very much.

93435897_99dc57a4ef.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
but I'm not sure it would be as versatile?
Brown being my favourite colour in hats I'm bound to say yes it will be.

Could one wear the brown hat with a navy or charcoal suit as well as Levis or khakis?
Not too sure about the suits but brown hats go brilliantly with jeans & khaki.

I'm a bit nervous that the brown might also look a bit too Raiders of the Lost Arky?

It will, nothing you can do about it so don't worry .

Maybe the black would be a better choice?

You might escape the Indy connotations but with black there is always the priest/orthodox Jew/Amish symbolism to deal with.

I've always admired the high-crown campaign hat worn by Sam Elliot in The Rough Riders (it had a higher crown than other campaign hats in the movie) . Maybe I could bash it into a similar shape?
Sam Elliot always wears high crowned hats in his western roles. Yep you could bash the Akubra into any any shape you please, just hit it with steam & mould........they hold a shape very well but the Adventurer won't look like a campaign hat due to the dark colour.

Finally, do Akubras run accurately with regard to size?

Yep.

Thanks very much.

You're welcome...:D

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Brown being my favourite colour in hats I'm bound to say yes it will be.

Not too sure about the suits but brown hats go brilliantly with jeans & khaki.

It will, nothing you can do about it so don't worry .

You might escape the Indy connotations but with black there is always the priest/orthodox Jew/Amish symbolism to deal with.

Sam Elliot always wears high crowned hats in his western roles. Yep you could bash the Akubra into any any shape you please, just hit it with steam & mould........they hold a shape very well but the Adventurer won't look like a campaign hat due to the dark colour.

Yep.

You're welcome...:D

Great response, thanks...

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I don't believe that Morgan sells the Adventurer in fawn or graphite? Further, I thought Akubra Adventurers from other sellers were different than those coming through Morgan?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I was not aware that a brown hat went with navy and charcoal suits. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Also, the hat you reference appears to be different than the one located here: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1128

It is the same hat, just shown with a different bash. All of the Adventurers come with an open crown, so you get to form the crown yourself. DM has the black and mid-brown, and EA has three different colors. Perhaps you'd like Graphite? It will go with everything, if you don't like the look of brown with grey or blue.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Stetsonadd1_zps177bb4cd.jpg

Stetson seems to like brown hats and grey for sure. I tend to agree with this add that I might wear a grey hat with a blue suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe