Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer in Battered Tan

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm about to order one of these in a size 40.
I don't ride- I won't be getting zip up hand warmer pockets, just slash ones, I think. Antique brass hardware, probably.

What do people think of the zip sleeves- do I need 'em, are they an essential part of the look? On the side or underneath? A throat stud closing or leave it off so I could add later it if I feel like it? I'm going for mid-weight as I have 'enough' (hahahaha) FQHH.

Jim.

Edward

Bartender
There may be details you can leave off, but I'd give it a lot of thought before cutting stuff out. Losing the handwarmer pocket zippers makes sense if you don't want to put anything but your hands in there, but much else, like the studs, sleeve zips, and so on, and you start to turn it into something other than it is, at which point I'd start to wonder whether you wouldn't be better off looking at a different jacket style to begin with. I'd be wary of removing the sleeve zips from a practical POV. If you want the slim sleeves of the CR look, you won't get that without some sort of device that slims down the forearm once your hand is through.... maybe you could ask Aero to put a 30s-style button-cuff on there instead of the zips, though again that will change the look of the piece further.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Perfect leather. Keep the zips in the sleeve (wherever you like the look of them) they are traditional, allow for the sleeve taper and I think they look great. The real question for me is do I get chest pockets and side slash pockets? If slash pockets, do I go with zips on them? Do I choose an inside pocket?

These days after a range of experiments, i've settled on chest pockets only (kind of traditional) and you can put your phone and keys in them. And an inside pocket too. I also am very particular about the mandarin collar. I prefer one that is even on both sides - not the long strip of collar leather on one side you get with some Aeros and Brimacos. But since my favourite leather jacket design is a Brooks cafe racer, I now wear one of those.

zebedee

One Too Many
Edward and Seb,

Thanks- this is precisely the input I need. I reckon that I'll keep the zip sleeves. Has anyone left chest pockets off with any joy? I agree with Seb about the Mandarin collar. I also reckon that I am beginning to mess about too much with the pattern if I chop stuff out.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, a few people leave off the chest pockets. There's one on Aero's sale page now. To me they look unfinished that way because I really like the look of chest pockets - even having just the one on a Highwayman. But I get that some loose them in the quest for streamlining.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll offer my opinion owning both an Aero Cafe Racer and a Board Track Racer for what its worth.

Keep the zip sleeves for reasons already mentioned. Both of mine only have chest pockets, no hand warmers, I'd be wary of going the hand warmer with no zipper option, its just getting too far away from a CR. I also think a CR style with no chest pockets would look a little strange.

I'll have to disagree with Seb on one point though, I think the Board Racer collar is a much better look than the standard Aero Cafe Racer. It looks much better in person than the pictures would have you think.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'll have to disagree with Seb on one point though, I think the Board Racer collar is a much better look than the standard Aero Cafe Racer. It looks much better in person than the pictures would have you think.

Not sure which ones you mean. The board racer has been produced with two collar styles - one of them is a J100 copy, the other with a longer strip of collar leather. I'm not sure what a standard Aero collar actually is since they seem to vary a lot. But if it's the neater, one stud version I prefer those but it's no where as nice as a Brooks collar.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually assume the ones displayed on the Aero page are the standard for that model.... of course I could be wrong about that.
The standard CR usually has the Buco copy (but its not quite as nice imo) while the Board Racer has the longer strip of leather on one side....I actually prefer this one.

Depends what's the jacket body length you're going with, but keep in mind that CR is a motorcycle jacket and thus short(er) by default, 'round 25", so there's hardly any need for hand-warmers as they'll sit quite too high for you to actually use them to keep your hands warm with any comfort. Besides, the jacket shouldn't be covering your pants pockets, not entirely at least, which you can always use for the same purpose. If you don't use hand warmers to carry stuff around, you won't find much use for them. Albeit of even less use, chest pockets are historically more authentic.

If you're gonna go with hand-warmers anyway, I'd suggest you keep the zipper.

Leave the sleeve zippers. By default, sleeve zippers are positioned on the back sleeve seam thus they never get in the way or push into your hand and they always rotate to the side when you put your arms on the table or somewhere, so you won't scratch anything. Zipping your sleeves changes the entire look of the jacket quite drastically - slims the sleeves, shifts the position of the jacket thus the way it fits you, plus they look really cool - so I'd keep 'em as there's really no downside of having sleeve zips.

As for the collar... I've no idea. Go for what looks best to you. I strongly prefer the longer strip as on the Board Racer or even better, Brimaco/British Cycle but that's entirely subjective and I never ever wear the thing snapped as it's always pushing into my throat. I've never seen the standard Aero CR (or Fidelity) collar style in person but I imagine it's even worse, with the pointy end with the snap being placed directly at my throat.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Length is definitely another issue. I like the longer Buco J100 pattern a lot, it's about 28 inches long at back if you're a tall size 42. I like the longer look in a cafe racer. My size 46 Brooks is almost 27 inches at back and looks perfect to me.

By the way, the leather I've seen on vintage Brimacos, Brooks and Harley Davidsons is pretty darn thin. Probably 2.2oz, not even as thick as the hide you're planning to use.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Isnt there a way to cut the sleeve so that it looks slim without the zips? I always thought if I got another cafe racer that I would eliminate the zips. The zippered handwarmer pockets have been usless for me all these years as the zipper makes it very uncomfortable for my hands.

So if someone wanted the cafe racer with no sleeve or handwarmer zips, what other jacket style would be a good substitute?

When I was looking for something would double as a casual and a MC jacket, I've narrowed it down to these three.

August - http://aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2212
Shorter, slim fit jacket with a bi-swing back

Slim Fit Half Belt - http://aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=14
I've noticed from the photos it fits similarly to CR

Premium HB - http://aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2361
Ditto

But I'm sure Aero would have no trouble whatsoever deleting sleeve and hand-warmer zips on a CR, should you request it so. I would imagine it's less work than adding a HWM collar to the CR, which is another very popular mod Aero gladly does.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Another fan here of the board racer collar. I share others' concerns about having slash pockets without a zipper. If you really do use them for your hands, they are going to bulge open a bit and take away from the trim look of the jacket. Better to eliminate IMHO, but to each their own.

technovox

One Too Many
I've owned a decent number of cafe racers over the years, and I can't recall ever having one (or seeing one) without zips on the sleeves. And I've seen them with epaulettes, side buckles, spread collars, action /no action back, slant chest/horizontal chest, elbow pads, shoulder pads, just about every other thing imaginable.
And although I'm no stranger to making modifications to a jacket design, lord knows I've made my share- perhaps some might even be considered borderline blasphemous, the one thing I probably wouldn't ever do to a cafe racer is leave the zips off the sleeves. It just seems to be ingrained in the design of the classic cafe racer. And actually it's surprisingly functional for regulating temperature of the jacket. Personally I like the zips on the top of the sleeve where I can see them. And my vote goes for two chest pockets with no hand warmer pockets. It such a traditional cafe look, perfect balance, and meets that sweet spot of minimalism and functionality. In my experience this configuration typically carries more value in resale too. Just my two cents. But that is the beauty of ordering a custom jacket- you get to choose what works for you.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Ok, is the Aero Sheene a true cafe racer? I have my eye on it and was thinking of the no zip modifications.

I am told that the Aero Sheene and Cafe Racer are identical patterns with the exception of the HWM collar on the Sheene. I think both can be ordered with the higher shoulder gussets (biker's bi-swing) that gives a neater look than the long full bi-swing. I have seen others order these jackets with no bi-swing as well for a completely clean look in the back. The bi-swing option does provide better range of movement when reaching out. Personally I think I would opt for the shoulder gussets as the best compromise between function and clean look. I am really taken with the design of the Sheene.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Pretty much a Cafe Racer with a collar.

Craig you beat me to the punch. I started to mention the Board Track Racer that is designed similarly to the Cafe Racer yet is a completely different pattern. I am also enamored with the BTR that you have too!

IXL

One Too Many
Craig you beat me to the punch. I started to mention the Board Track Racer that is designed similarly to the Cafe Racer yet is a completely different pattern. I am also enamored with the BTR that you have too!

You know, you could always order a Board Track Racer......and a bike...:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe