Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2

breezer

Practically Family
Planning to order an A2 from Aero soon - so am trying to familiarise myself with all the options, but its confusing!

From my perspective - I'm not too hung up on authenticity, comfort and practicality are more important. I just want a simple, go-to, leather jacket for all occasions. Colour wise I have already decided on black with green knits. I guess the leather is the next thing to decide upon.

I am 6 feet tall, slim - with a 40" / medium chest. Comments welcome! ( especially regarding the choice of contract, hide, lining, pockets, collar etc..)

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello Breezer,
I see that you're in Scotland already - and I think the best thing is to make a day of heading over to Aero and trying on as many A2's as you can. There really is no substitute for that. You can ask many fine people here for their learned opinions - but all of them are worthless if you try that recommended model on and the fit or cut is just off for your look/frame. Some house styles are like that, namely that they are all very similar - but slightly different. It's like the Pepsi/Coke taste test. I've taken it and there's a difference in an A:B test and I know that I prefer one over another - although I can enjoy both of course. A2's are the same. I once had my heart set on an ELC Star Sportswear A2 and did all the research I could and felt in my heart that it would be perfect for my needs - and I got to try it on at the ELC QM tent at RAF Duxford one summer - and I was shocked to see in the mirror that it didn't look good on me at all! And I walked away with something entirely different to what I'd gone in for - and I came out with an ELC Luftwaffe in black!
First off, I'd give Aero a ping and ask for some hide swatches first and open up a nice dialogue with Holly - and try to set up a day/weekend to go visit their showroom and try on everything there and they can nail your size and you can see what hide you prefer and what colour works for your look the best.
They'll gladly accommodate you and your time and effort will be well rewarded!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welcome.... Other's with a bit more knowledge on that particular model will answer your questions. I just wanted to give you a warm welcome. I've several A2's none from Aero so I can't speak directly to their offerings. Stand By gives good advice though.

Worf

Stand By

One Too Many
thanks guys - I will definitely visit Aero before placing final order.

You never know, Breezer. You may go in wanting an A2 and end up coming away with something else entirely...
I had had an A2 for over 18 years and then wanted a good upgrade from it and I got an ELC 352nd A2 - and I really liked it and then I wanted that ELC Star Sportswear as well, but got the Luftwaffe instead (and I never thought a black leather jacket was ever me, but that one is! And I still love it!) - and then later on, I wanted something lighter than the 352nd A2 (which is heavy with those escape pockets) and I let it go - and I ended up with my Aero ANJ-3! No regrets.
And I'm sure you'll find something that's just right for you. You're luckier than most around here - to be able to go in personally. The rest of us on this side of the Atlantic can only dream of doing that .... but do let us know how you make out!
Happy hunting!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I concur with what @Stand By said regarding a trip to Galashiels. Personally I wouldn't order an A-2 in black. Consider seal Vicenza which is IMHO the nicest skin offered by anyone.

breezer

Practically Family
I am sure its got to be black, and I think I am leaning towards a lighter hide. Having said that, has anyone tried the Italian horsehide in black?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am sure its got to be black, and I think I am leaning towards a lighter hide. Having said that, has anyone tried the Italian horsehide in black?

I have a black goatskin Maxwell and a black Vicenza (Italian) Sheene (Cafe Racer with HWM collar), and both have a fantastic hand and drape, particularly the black Vicenza HH which is the nicest skin I own. HOWEVER, I think it would be a sacrilege to order an A-2 with anything other than brown color. In addition to black, Vicenza comes in dark brown, seal, and russet. Go with seal Vicenza rather than black for an A-2! :cool:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd tempted to go with an A-1 in that colour combo, I've seen a Buzz Rickson in similar and it looked the bee's knees. The black Vicenza has a lot of nice grain and sheen - a bootleegger would look great made from it.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Carrie had a black Vincenza Ridley that showed amazing drape and grain. Her own Seal Vincenza jacket although not even that old also was stunning.

Imho that hide is ideal for a jacket as ot conforms to your body out of the box. I know most love fqhh but while i think it looks awesome on others i really dont like the "armor" like appearance of jackets made from it, particularly when new.

I also would discourage a black A2. Maybe a happy days in your color scheme with Vincenza?

Had a Good Wear Ventura in black Shinki, and it would have made a killer, if not accurate, A-2.
The Italian stuff looks killer too, but I only have samples of that. Defer to the guys here who do!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
this the one I had in mind. Tbh, I think this is seal. If you're thinking of a black A-2, I might be tempted to go with the Happy Days jacket. There's something slightly jarring about an A-2 that isn't in military colours, though ymmv.

06201546_53a3d8c5b3c3b.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the jacket will look great in black with green knits. I highly agree with the members above that trying on different A-2's before you buy is very important. There is so little room for error with the fit on these jackets, particularly because Aero cuts a tight pattern with high arm holes. I found this out the hard way by buying one off eBay that looked perfect on paper yet was way too tight when I put it on. Aero makes beautiful A-2's, and I'm sure you will be very happy if you take the time to get the fit right.

Edward

Bartender
Some years ago, I was narrowly outbid on eBay for a black A2 in FQHH (!) - looked amazing. It is somewhat different from the milspec, but if you don't care about that, it doesn't matter..... In any case, there were plenty of civvie jackets based on the A2 back in the day produced in leather. I'd consider switching the patch pockets for slash ones myself, like the Happy Days (I suspect the HD is a much 'bigger' fitting jacket, though worth trying if you're consifdering that pocket option).

For a lighter hide, I'd look into the black goat Aero started getting in a couple of years ago. Lovely stuff.

Cocker

Practically Family
Aero's 50's flight jacket could be a great compromise if you want an A-2 look-a-like in black! I agree with people thinking that an A-2 in non-military color looks somewhat off to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe