Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed for first top-tier G-1 leather jacket purchase

cbez

One Too Many
FromJapan and buyee are both reliable options. look carefully at knits they are usually the first thing to show damage.

npthaiduong

New in Town

freewheelers, some wear

good luck!
Thank you very much, Sir! It seems like I can buy a good G-1 and N-1 for around $1,200 :)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Always try to find an used jacket before you fork out the money for a brand new one. These jackets are built to last, lightly used is actually better than brand new one because it's broken in and a lot of value.

and now I’m looking for a warmer jacket for the winter in Minnesota. The G-1 seems like the ideal choice.
If you get one in a size bigger, then there will be enough room to wear a mid insulating layer that should see you through the winter. I find G-1 generally fits better than the A2 because of the full action back, you can wear them like second skin or a size or two larger, the G-1 fit is very forgiving.

I’ve narrowed my options down to three: Eastman, Good Wear, and Rainbow Country.
Out of your narrowed down brands. My pick goes to Goodwear and Rainbow Country because they offer the L.W. Foster repros which has that "Top Gun Maverick" look. All my other repro G-1s fits generically just varied lengths, Foster G-1s stands out from the crowd.

Here are all the repro G-1's I had and some I still have, in alphabetical order, a-z, left to right,
G-1 jackets labels.jpg

g-1 fit compare front unzipped.jpg

g-1 fit compare front zipped.jpg

g-1 fit compare back zipped.jpg
g-1 fit compare side zipped.jpg

I will have an annual training in Yokosuka next year, so I may just use my liberty to visit the local stores over there.
Check out the Toys Mccoy Tokyo store when you're there. Their sizing runs smaller so size up, but really nice stuff and mostly only available in Japan. The AN-J-3 jacket is my personal favorite, combining both A2 and G-1 jacket into one jacket.
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Always try to find an used jacket before you fork out the money for a brand new one. These jackets are built to last, lightly used is actually better than brand new one because it's broken in and a lot of value.

If you get one in a size bigger, then there will be enough room to wear a mid insulating layer that should see you through the winter. I find G-1 generally fits better than the A2 because of the full action back, you can wear them like second skin or a size or two larger, the G-1 fit is very forgiving.

Out of your narrowed down brands. My pick goes to Goodwear and Rainbow Country because they offer the L.W. Foster repros which has that "Top Gun Maverick" look. All my other repro G-1s fits generically just varied lengths, Foster G-1s stands out from the crowd.

Here are all the repro G-1's I had and some I still have, in alphabetical order, a-z, left to right,
View attachment 644582
View attachment 644583
View attachment 644584
View attachment 644585 View attachment 644586

Check out the Toys Mccoy Tokyo store when you're there. Their sizing runs smaller so size up, but really nice stuff and mostly only available in Japan. The AN-J-3 jacket is my personal favorite, combining both A2 and G-1 jacket into one jacket.
View attachment 644589 View attachment 644590
MASTER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrgorve