Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adams Question.

MAB1

Suspended
ADAM Hats

I've detected a little disdain of ADAM hats here.

My ADAM Executive is the finest, softest fur felt ... I've ever felt.

From what I've gathered, they were the McDonald's of hats. ADAM provided an affordable product in a nationwide chain of ADAM HATS stores. Think about it... that's pretty amazing.

All I gotta say is, "Anybody that disses an ADAM is missing out on something."

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Aside from my hats by Art my Adam's Feather Lite is my favorite and most comfortable hat.
462337960_183e34dec9.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
Say CooncatBob, How do you apply for membership in the More Hats Than Brains Club? I think I'm a natural for it. I have just about 40 hats and.. forgot what I was going to say next...Uhhh.

Oh yeah.. That Adam hat sure looks like a whippet. Very nice.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure what disdain you've 'felt' (;) ), but I think there's a great appreciation for them from everything I've seen. Adam was aimed as a more affordable hat than some, but that doesn't mean they were bad.

Speaking of which, the hat in my current avatar is an Adam that was my grandfather's and rebuilt by Art Fawcett. The felt on it is super soft.

Razzman

One Too Many
I have several Adam fedoras. I have to say they are fine hats. The felt is very soft and subtle and hold any crease. No complaints from me.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree...

Razzman said:
I have several Adam fedoras. I have to say they are fine hats. The felt is very soft and subtle and hold any crease. No complaints from me.
I have at least 2 that I know of off hand. My "Premier" is one of the softest, most pliable felts, next to my Borsos, that I have. No complaints here. [huh]

MAB1

Suspended
I have heard that my Executive is top o' the line. But, I have yet to see an ADAM Aristocratic. I hear those are really nice.

I guess that the point I was trying to make is quite cliche, " Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover."

Let me take a moment to thank all of you for the wealth of information about hats that I've garnered here.

You guys are the best.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Adam Hats were excellent copies...

I think Adam has developed a negative impression (among some) because Adam Hats made excellent copies of the most popular hat styles of the day.

If one was a Stetson loyalist, then I can see how these photos might cause some frustrations...

First, here is a Premier Stetson Stratoliner:

Vintage-245.jpg

Second, here is an Adam Executive Quality "copy" of the Stratoliner:

ChristmasforDad.jpg

Not bad at all...

MAB1

Suspended
I have heard that they were great thieves. But, who wasn't?

Mine has a pleated bow. What was that a knockoff of?

Plus I'm wondering when the wide grosgrain brim edging was popular.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My Adam Premier is one of my first vintage lids I found on OFAS for $9. I'd have to say it is one of the nicest hats that I own with a unique ribbon treatment. It a very enjoyable hat to wear & soft to boot.

Cheers!

Dan

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Stoney said:
Say CooncatBob, How do you apply for membership in the More Hats Than Brains Club? I think I'm a natural for it. I have just about 40 hats and.. forgot what I was going to say next...Uhhh.

Oh yeah.. That Adam hat sure looks like a whippet. Very nice.

Stoney: Your a member when you say you are. lol

ideaguy

One Too Many
got an Adam hat. Great brown color, unlike any other brown hat I've seen-and it's not faded, etc. Lost the liner years ago. Felt's soft, smooth, "just right". Nothing really fancy, nice ribbon, but the hat fits so well, has such a perfect cut and rake to it...the only thing that bothers me is seeing the original $5.00 price tag. Adam- 1st name in hats![huh]

Stoney

Practically Family
cooncatbob said:
Stoney: Your a member when you say you are. lol

I suspected as much, but thought it better to ask permission.
OK now, my fellow weak brained hat collectors, join the club at will.

BTW Johnny Gringo, It's not too many hats, it is just More Hats Than Brains.
There is no such number as too many hats, except perhaps n+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust