Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adam Savage of MythBusters

RedPop4

One Too Many
I and my boys (9 and 6) try to watch this every week on Discovery. It's simply a great show, blending science, engineering, movie-making, humor (intentional and not) and exlosions.

Adam Savage one of the two founders and Myth Busters, has coloring like me....red hair, fair complexion.....anyway.....he wears a fedora whenever they're out of the studio. Looks like he doesn't favor a band or ribbon, though. But it's a wide brim brown hat which gives him excellent protection from the sun

pinpong1_vzoom.jpg

pinpong2_hzoom.jpg

ming4_hzoom.jpg

ep17_3_vzoom.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
It is an Akubra

My local cable provider was running a Mythbusters marathon last weekend, and I got to see a number of episodes (great show, by the way!). On the shows that I saw, Adam was wearing two different Akubras -- one a Drover, the other a Bushman.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I love Adam's hats!

Sure, they look mis-shapen and all, but with all that he puts them through, they've really held up great. I have to get one. I recall, earlier in the show's run, he had a hat band for a while, and I think it disappeared when he cleaned and reblocked it later on.
Thabnks for revealing the models, Jimmy!
:fedora:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You're most welcome! The following may be of interest -- apparently, one of the folks at COW e-mailed Adam Savage directly and received the following reply:

Thanks for your letter. My hat has never had a band. I prefer it this way. It is an Australian Akubra, one of 4 I have owned over the years.
To be sure it has seen better days. That's also the way I like it. I beat the #### out of my stuff, and the Akubra's can take it and keep coming back. I'm wearing a new one this season (starts airing in the fall) that's the khaki "drover" model.

I love my Akubras and will continue to beat the living crap out of them as long as they are made.

Cheers,
Adam Savage

The thread itself can be found here: http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=8498&highlight=mythbusters

Cheers,
Jimmy

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hey, remember this thread?

I finally spotted Adam's new Drover on the "whirlpool of death" episode this week. It looked brand new in the show, got rained on (soaked), and lost it's band by the time the show was over! I'm glad I got to see it and know which one it was. I've wanted a 3" brimmed Akubra, and I've decided on the Drover.
NB

Mister_Ed

New in Town
I'm also a Mythbusters junkie. I thought that was an Akubra he was wearing but didn't know the model. Makes me feel even better about the Coolabah I ordered last month :) , even though it won't arrive for about another 5-6 weeks :( .

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
RedPop4 said:
Hee hee hee hee hee hee

His hair is still nice and bright, unlike mine. Mine was like that when I was a kid.
And he's OLDER than I am.
I'm a big fan of Adam Savage as well! My grandmother is a red head as well, and is still a vibrant color, everyone who sees her is amazed that she has never dyed her hair to keep it that way, anyway, the secret she tells me is B vitamins..apparently, they keep redheads hair a vibrant red, everytime she doesn't take her B vitamins, her hair starts to fade. *just in case you were wanting a trick to get you red back*;)

mysterygal said:
I'm a big fan of Adam Savage as well! My grandmother is a red head as well, and is still a vibrant color, everyone who sees her is amazed that she has never dyed her hair to keep it that way, anyway, the secret she tells me is B vitamins..apparently, they keep redheads hair a vibrant red, everytime she doesn't take her B vitamins, her hair starts to fade. *just in case you were wanting a trick to get you red back*;)

How about carrot juice? ;) :D

univibe88

One Too Many
On a recent episode they were doing a myth from an Indiana Jones episode (if you put a spear in a motorcycle's wheel will it flip up into the air)

Adam was wearing what appeared to be a Federation.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
On a recent episode they were doing a myth from an Indiana Jones episode (if you put a spear in a motorcycle's wheel will it flip up into the air)

Adam was wearing what appeared to be a Federation.

Actually, that was an Adventurebilt... a deluxe, I believe. Confirmed by Adam himself! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads