Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adam Derby, Not

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Scored this on E-bay last week and it was at the door when I got home.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180103931917&rd=1&rd=1
They had it listed as a Derby, obviously it's a open crown Fedora. No one was bidding on it and It looked like it could be a gem so I bid then someone else started nibbling on my auction so I bumped my bid up just in case they were going to snipe me. They didn't and I got it for $21.50, can't let Spence get all the bargains. LOL. It was a little small but I Lexoled the sweat band and steamed it stretched it over my block and here it is. Soft as a baby's butt and light as a feather.
462337960_183e34dec9.jpg

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Great under the radar find! Would you call that color "peach"? Or is it pinker, like a mauve? I'd have to think about what to wear with it, but its sure a purty hat:eusa_clap

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
America's famous hatter indeed

That's a very nice hat. I rather like Adam hats, which do seem to be overlooked at auction. It has rather nice proportions.

The slapdash use of style names and general ignorance of hats on the part of eBay sellers is sometimes quite perturbing, though not half so much as the proliferation of descriptors like, "gangster," and , "Indiana Jones." It's a blessing that the seller gave the size, some don't even bother with a circumference (or give a rather unhelpful sets of measurements).

Nice hat. Looks like their version of the Whippet. Which colours are most accurate? The ones in the auction or your photo?

On the description thing, it can be hard for someone who knows nothing about hats to describe things accurately. They'll have seen the open, rounded crown and immediately thought bowler (derby). Frankly this is one of the less egregious examples of eBay seller-speak.

bk

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That reminds me of a nice black Dobbs fedora I snagged on the 'Bay some months back. It was also described as a "Derby" or "Bowler" but I could easily see it was an open-crowned fedora. It turned out to have a 2-1/4" brim which suits me better than a true "stingy" when I'm in a short-brimmed mood.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Nice hat. Looks like their version of the Whippet. Which colours are most accurate? The ones in the auction or your photo?

On the description thing, it can be hard for someone who knows nothing about hats to describe things accurately. They'll have seen the open, rounded crown and immediately thought bowler (derby). Frankly this is one of the less egregious examples of eBay seller-speak.

bk

Actually neither, it's browner then either picture about the color of chocolate milk. I just got home and put it on. I had it on the stretcher over night as it was a 7 and I'm a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 . When I got it yesterday the sweatband was very dry I applied lexol to both sides of the leather, I then steamed the sides of the crown and put the stretcher to it. I going to wear it and see if it tightens up, if it does I 'll give it some more steam and stretching.
I does rather look like a Whippet, I've wanted one but the bidding always goes higher then I want to pay. I try to keep my eyes open for miss labelled items.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007